Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default HELP - OT Super super sore/scratchy throat

So about 5 days ago I started getting what I thought was a cold with a sore throat/chills and stuff. I never got congested and I've been feeling on/off since then. A couple days ago I felt fine except my left tonsil felt swollen and painful. Then yesterday I felt fine again and today I've had the WORST sore/scratchy throat. It's normal for me to get a scratchy throat as I'm getting over a cold and it usually precedes the coughing phase, but this is beyond. I keep feeling like I have to cough, but nothing happens. I keep feeling like I have to clear my throat but when I do it just hurts more. It feels SO raw and is so irritating I can't focus on anything else. Nothing helps. Except eating menthol drops, but I can only have 2 of those per hour or else risk menthol poisoning.

It's weird cause it's not like a normal sore throat, it just feels like the skin's been ripped off my throat lining or it's been rubbed with sandpaper. I can still talk fine because it seems to be affecting a completely different part of my throat. Drinking hot beverages just causes extreme pain, not soothing. Eating bread helps a wee bit, but I can't keep eating cause I'm full and that's just not gonna fly. Usually when I get a sore throat eating/drinking helps to soothe it...I tried sucking on vitamin C (nope) and taking Ibuprofen (nope) cause it usually soothes a normal sore throat but nothing's helping...

I dunno...I'm worried! Could it be strep? I don't have a fever or any other symptoms other than feeling tired (but that's just from lack of sleep). It doesn't feel like the pain is anywhere near my tonsils. Plus since this is really the first day it's been like this do I have to wait a few more days to see if it's actually strep? I had to get a strep test about a year ago and that was like the worst experience ever and I'd really like to not repeat that ever again (I had to sit on my hands finally so they could do it and afterwards I just started crying and almost gagging) and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it could be/how I could make it feel better. The only tea we have is caffeinated which is not a good idea right now and I'm not eating honey since I'm trying to be vegan (plus I don't think we even have any) so I just don't know what to do! Sorry this is so OT but I have some huge papers coming up and if I'm feeling this horrible I don't know how I'm going to deal!

Default Re: HELP - OT Super super sore/scratchy throat

Well I was just looking up symptoms and I was wondering if it's possible it could be laryngitis? It's weird, cause I can actually talk (mostly) fine, just a bit hoarse but it doesn't really hurt to talk, it just makes me want to cough more. It did say dry, burning throat and the constant need to clear your throat are symptoms. I dunno...this is just so horrible!

Hmmm my first response would be honey...always helps me! When you have a chance though, go out and get some chamomile tea, it solves all problems.

if you have other cold-like symptoms then it's definitely not strep. Also if you don't have a fever or swollen glands,you're probably in the he clear. Though if you start to feel worse, I would get a strep test just to be safe. I know they suck, but I used to get strep all the time until I finished college and I've never had any real problems from the test.

For now just eat soft, warm foods. Oatmeal, soups (garlic soup is really good for colds, and it's super immune boosting), and tea are all good. Also take Advil or Tylenol or something to take the edge off the pain and swelling

I really hope you feel better soon!

Eurgh. Unfortunately now my mom's getting sick too (she decided to drink out of my cup yesterday, yeah, that's smart...) and it's worse for her because she's the sole runner/teacher of her in-home preschool so she has to be well or else suffer through sick. And I'm completely terrible at dealing with people when they're sick, even if I don't think I'm going to get it...it's just like...I can't do it! It makes me feel so helpless. All that on top of papers and midterms and projects and stress...I guess I should just cross my fingers and hope beyond hope that it's just a bit of a cold and won't become anything worse (for either of us).

I just finished reading the three different threads you posted as your symptoms progressed, and I think I have a pretty good idea what the problem is. It sounds like you may have strep throat. Strep can often cause n* and sometimes even d* and v*. It can cause slight to high fevers, which would explain your chills and being really cold. I noticed you mention only having two Halls per hour to prevent menthol poisoning. I have to tell you that I think your facts are wrong on that. As part of my Emet, I always need to have a strong menthol candy or gum in my mouth. It calms me down and makes it so I can't really feel my acid reflux in my throat. Anyway, I quite literally go through 2-3 packs of the extra strength Halls each and every day. There is always a Halls in my mouth, and I have never succumb to any form of poisoning or any negative effects (except a cavity, but that was before I started the sugar free ones).

I'd almost bet money that you have strep, based on all your symptoms and how long it has been going on. Last week I was sick with something completely unknown to me. It scared me at first, but I got through it. I essentially woke up and instantly noticed extreme heat coming off my skin and when I closed my eyes I could tell my eye lids were hot. Took my temp and it was at a shocking 103.4. At this point I went into straight up panic mode and dosed myself with Advil, Zofran and Immodium (just to be safe). I didn't feel n* but I was incredibly sore. I could barely get out of bed because the aches and pains were so severe. I ended up sleeping a lot and because of the high fever, which Advil wouldn't break, I became dehydrated quickly, but I drank a bunch of water with electrolyte syrup in it and was fine. Now, everything pointed to me having influenza, fever, aches and pains, headache. Only problem was that I didn't have any other symptoms, no sore throat, no stuffy or runny nose, no ear aches...nothing. To make things even more questionable, I woke up the next day almost 100% fine. I still felt a bit weak from the high fever the day before, but otherwise, I was totally fine.

The main purpose of me telling you that story is because I to experienced symptoms that were somewhat relative to influenza, yet not quite. It was a mystery, but I got through it no problem.

Anyway, if these symptoms continue, I'd suggest seeing a doctor for a throat swab. Like I said, I'd almost bet money that you have strep, which can cause each and every symptom you have. Hope you're on the mend soon

I dunno...if it keeps this up I'll have to go to the doc but I haven't had a fever really, except a bit of chills the first night. I was only really nauseous for the first day too, and even then only a bit. I've had a normal appetite since. And my throat actually didn't hurt half of the days...just today again really. And it's not even that it hurts, it's just really dry and burning and I keep feeling like I have to cough reallllly badly but it's like I can't. And each time I try to it makes it more painful. It's literally past 5am here and I have class in a few hours and I haven't slept a wink. If I so much as lean my head back the urge to cough becomes so violent I almost can't breathe. I've been sucking on menthol things but nothing helps. I keep drinking water to no avail. When I feel like I need to cough the urge is so violent I actually feel like I'm going to v*.

Try sleeping sitting up, like in a chair or something if you can. Or use lots of pillows.
    It might be too late now but try taking something that will make you sleepy, like NyQuil or an antihistamine, it always works for me when I'm up all night coughing.
    Probably a good idea to see a doc. Hope you feel better.