Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry In Treatment... :P

Ugh...so my parents put me in an eating disorder treatment center 10 hrs daily.... I cannot relate to anyone and none of the staff can help me because most of them assume I have an eating disorder! They don't know I have Emetophobia (except the therapist). I'm so frustrated. Basically I'm there to gain weight because I'm underweight. Has anyone else been to an eating disorder treatment center and felt so left out and helpless? I wish there was an Emet Treatment Center! And to top it all off my Emet is tested every single day because I am forced to eat more than I want to...

Default Re: In Treatment... :P

I'm so sorry :-(. Honestly though, this may help you. You may not be "anorexic" in the sense that the other people there are, but you obviously still have issues with food. I was like that too at one point, thanks to emet. Nothing seemed appetizing to me, and sometimes I would skip meals or just spit my food out. However, I agree, I think your emet needs more treatment before you can treat your disordered eating, since that stems from emet.

Haha yeah once my mum put me in hospital. Parents are funny, they try to help byt if they arent emetophobes then they just cant.
    Dont worry, talk to the other kids and ask your parents to understand what emetophobia is and that you havent got an eatind disorder. Show them this site and that thewre are others like you and youre not just making it up because u wanna look good and skinny etc
    Good luck
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

YES! I've been there, although it was in the 80's...it was a children's hospital psych unit with other eating disorders, etc. My therapist said I had an atypical eating disorder, in other words not anorexia or bulimia or anything like that, but still issues with food. Best thing for you to do is to explain this to others, that you don't think you are fat, don't have body image issues, but you are phobic. I hope it can help you...I was underweight as well and was on a "contract" to gain weight. I was inpatient 24/7 for 9 weeks!!! Sucked but....take care!!

Make the best of your situation. Get help from professionals. Although your disorder is not typical anorexia, it does sound like you have food issues and emet. Talk to your therapist, tell them what is going on and why you do not want to eat. They should still be able to help you. HUGS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Yes I've been to one twice! And I felt the same way I felt like I didn't belong there or could relate especially when most of the day was built around body image issues and I just thought how is this going to help me? But when I think back I was definitely a learning experience and there were some hard times when some of the girls would vomit on purpose... And yeah they make you eat sooo much!! I had a hard time with that too and they are really stick about it. It did help me gain weight which really is what I needed the most was to get to a healthy weight and to be honest I think that was the only way because I couldn't have done it by myself and obviously my family or bf could help me. It will be a good experience you might not feel like that now but you will. Just keep working hard on gaining that weight and eating healthy! Hopefully your therapist will be able to work with you on your emet too.