Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New Member MR W and Noro Virus

Hello

Apologise if there is somewhere to write this not here, but I am not great with Computers.

I thought since I was little I was an odd ball, being afraid of being bad, I know no-one likes it, but to be actually afraid of it. Maybe I am odd, but its nice that tonight I saw a site saying emptophobia and then went on to find this site, so I am not alone. It started for me from being at nursery pre school, I used to have to sit next to a lad who was allergic to everything it seemed, every break time, and every dinner time, he would eat his food/drink and then rapidly V* everywhere, this was every day for months... well that started it all off, and it has never got any better!

I don't think I have it to the degree of some of you on here do, that said, if I see, smell or hear someone being bad, or know someone in the vicinity is/has been I am uneasy and feel bad myself. I try to avoid situations where I may be exposed to it, and in the time of winter noro etc, I get a bit worried. If I have an upset tummy, and feel sick I get panic attacks which only make it worse, then when I know I am going to be bad, it is really bad!

That said I am not obsessed with hygiene in that working throughout the year normal muck and dirt bothers me very little, greasy black hands and I will still eat dinner, but go somewhere that's germy (in my eyes at least) toilets or doctors then I have to clean up.

A friend watched me eat an orange whilst working, my greasy hands made it black as I peeled it, no problem I ate it and he shuddered, this was no worries for me, but he on the otherhand doesn't mind people being bad next to him.

Sounds stupid I know!

Well anyway with the noro everywhere in the UK at the moment I have been using a hand sanitizer, but found today it says on the net they don't work. This has prompted me to spend a long time today researching and saying they don't work may not be true.

Please bear with me if I am getting this wrong but my understanding is that human noro virus is extremely hard to test cleaning agents against as the virus will not multiply in the lab only in the body, so testing was done on a similar virus noro calicivirus, which is a feline strain, this is extremely alcohol resistant, hence all the reports alcohol rubs don't work.

Recently they have found Noro murine norovirus is closer genetically to the Human strain, and they found it is not resistant to alcohol, but more research is needed. Interesting I thought. I read on and some say Alcohol over 50% proof, some say 60% proof some say 70 or 80% proof is the way forward. So maybe all help to an extent?

I know the ingredients benzalkonium chloride and benzethonium chloride are effective in the battle against noro virus in concentrations above 0.013%, but I found it hard finding anything locally (uk) who sold anything with these in.

I continued my research to find a few sanitizers that are effective to norovirus which I thought I would share with you, thinking it might help someone. Purell VF481 Antiviral Alcohol Hand Gel and Sterizar Hand Gel which I just ordered through eBay for about 6 pounds free delivery for 50ml, which I thought was quite good. The Sterizar Hand Gel is very good as it apparently will leave protection on ones hands for at least 6 hours after using, any extra help is good I thought.

Now I hope you don't all mind my ramblings, and as a disclaimer I don't know how true any of the above is, but that is what I have read on the internet this evening and came to the decision I did, and how to reassure myself. I advise you to all do your own research and come to your own decisions as I am not a chemist, I am an engineer! lol

I currently use Jangro BK140-50 which is it says Effective against Bacteria and viruses, and also one from boots, Cuticura Anti Bacterial Hand Gel and think anything is better than nothing, when one has no hand washing facilities available.

Thanks and I look forward to talking to people with like minded phobias.

Lastly I apologise for any spelling, dyslexia mistakes, I try to avoid them, but it is hard at times.

All the best

MR W

Default Re: New Member MR W and Noro Virus

Hello

Mistake in the above!:-

Sterizar Hand Gel which I just ordered through eBay for about 6 pounds free delivery for 50ml, which I thought was quite good.

Should Read:-

Sterizar Hand Gel which I just ordered through eBay for about 6 pounds free delivery for 500ml, which I thought was quite good.

Best Regards

MR W

Good evening and Happy New Year.

There's nothing quite like realising that in fact you're not alone and that many people share this phobia. It is indeed very difficult to get on with things when the media seems to enthusiastically report every outbreak of Norovirus. If you're looking to rely on hand sanitiser, I'd recommend Boots' anti-viral hand foam. It's usually found in their first aid or travel sections, sometimes both. This particular brand and formula has been tested and found to be very effective.

I'm trying to wean myself off the stuff. We all use it, but I think it makes things worse if used regularly. It just reinforces the fear, telling our mind that there really is something to fear. It's so easy to become reliant on it. I can't touch my face or eat without having treated my hands first.

Quote Originally Posted by shhhh View Post
    Good evening and Happy New Year.

There's nothing quite like realising that in fact you're not alone and that many people share this phobia. It is indeed very difficult to get on with things when the media seems to enthusiastically report every outbreak of Norovirus. If you're looking to rely on hand sanitiser, I'd recommend Boots' anti-viral hand foam. It's usually found in their first aid or travel sections, sometimes both. This particular brand and formula has been tested and found to be very effective.

I'm trying to wean myself off the stuff. We all use it, but I think it makes things worse if used regularly. It just reinforces the fear, telling our mind that there really is something to fear. It's so easy to become reliant on it. I can't touch my face or eat without having treated my hands first.

Hello

Exactly, and thanks for the reply. Happy new year to you all.

I quite agree with you about the media.

I might get some foam, then again early next week the 6 hour stuff should arrive, so might wait for that. As you say I think relying on it could be bad, then again it is nice I feel to use it prior to eating, when out and about, at least during the noro winter season. Sterizar seems to be good as it lasts longer than any other, it leaves a residue on your hands, which is said not to be sticky etc, will report on that when I get some.

Anyway, thanks again.

Wishing you all the best

MR W

Another hand sanitizer that is effective against noro is: Germstar Noro.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Hello

Sterizar Arrived today and it is excellent, Alcohol free, no stickiness, no scent, not bad for the skin! Cheap too!

Highly Recommended

Best Regards

MR W

I have to ask...are you from the north of England by any chance? You mention that you live in the UK and, for some reason, I get the feeling that you're a northerner.

Quote Originally Posted by shhhh View Post
    I have to ask...are you from the north of England by any chance? You mention that you live in the UK and, for some reason, I get the feeling that you're a northerner.
    Hello

Well, The Great County of Cheshire, I will let you decide how north that is!

Best Regards

MR W

I'm happy to call you a northerner.

I'm originally from a little further north but my work has dragged me, screaming and kicking, south.