Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Just Joined, but I have a few questions about the stomach virus :)

I am a mild emet. When I say mild I mean very mild. I am a germophobe though. During the winter months I make a habit of washing my hands and telling my family to wash their hands as well. They think I am extremely paranoid. I don't care about colds or flus but I am absolutely terrified of the stomach virus. I have anxiety and mild ocd so this doesn't help it at all. It doesn't disable me until someone actually gets sick around me. Like Monday my brother had a virus, he was pretty sick the rest of the night and only got sick 3 times. I just want to know if I am in the clear or not. My mother was mildly ill earlier yesterday morning but recovered roughly after an hour. She was able to hold down her food and wasn't really sick to be honest. My bother is the one who had it really bad. He is perfectly fine now but I think he still contagious. It's been four days and I still feel fine. I locked myself in my room when my little brother was sick, I REFUSED to come out, and barely came out the day he stayed home. I did eat a piece of candy he handed to me except he touched the wrapper. I ate candy by holding on to the wrapper, my hands DID NOT touch it. I think I am in the clear since has been so long. I have a trip I need to go on Saturday and I want to make sure I am well. I have been constantly washing my hands and bleaching everything. We live in a four bedroom house, with four bathrooms. My little brother stayed in my mom's bathroom, while I stayed and used the one on my end. I don't think I caught the virus but I just want to hear your opinions and your experience. Thanks a bunch!

Oerba

Default Re: Just Joined, but I have a few questions about the stomach virus :)

If you weren't near him when he v* and you didn't use the bathroom he was sick in, than I'd say your in the clear. You'd have to touch something he was sick on and then touch your mouth or he would have to be sick, not wash his hands and then make you food.

If you've been constantly washing your hands in addition to bleaching everything and weren't around him while he was actively vomiting, I would say you're more than likely just fine. =)

Thanks guys. Since it's Saturday I think I will be okay, I am going to give it until next week before I say I have been completed spared. I hope I didn't freak anyone out by posting this. I am sure most of you know where I am coming from. My emetophobia just flares up when I know someone has been sick recently or is actively sick close to me. I've been like this since I was about 12 or 13. It's been almost 10 years now.