Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Hypnotherapy doesn't work!

Hi I'm new to the site but have read so many people asking if hypnotherapy works for us emetophobia. Well it didnt for me! I spent a fortune on it and still feel the same, my support at the moment is a supply of Phenergan which I take when I feel nauseous. A lot of people on here take Zofran but it's not available in UK What's the best anti emetic?

Default Re: Hypnotherapy doesn't work!

I am so sorry it didn't work for you. Are you going to try CBT?? Or Thrive? I hear they work good. I use Zofran because it works quick and it dissolves so you don't have to swallow a pill.
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

I also suggest a therapist and trying CBT and exposure therapy and possibly anti-anxiety meds too.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Hypnosis will only go as far as the patient is willing to allow it and, unfortunately, phobias can often be addictions as well and no addict wants to be cured of their addiction. Phobias make us feel safe no matter how inconvenient or irrational they are and the behaviors they bring about reinforce our mentality. We're not gonna wanna get rid of it as easily as anything else hypnosis might be able to alleviate. I hear the best bet for emetophobia is CBT and I agree. This is more of a behavioral thing and once you unlearn certain behaviors, your mind will take hypnotic suggestions much easier and will prove to be more effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I use nothing except sea bands. I have not had zofran and don't even know how to ask my dr for it.

Safest antiemetics long-term are the H1 antihistamines according to my GP (of which Phenergan is one - cyclizine is another common one). Zofran is not really used on the NHS outside chemotherapy-related nausea partly because it's hugely expensive, but also because it can cause some pretty gnarly heart problems if you're unlucky. Prochlorperazine also seems to also be thrown around pretty freely in the UK but can also have some pretty grim and potentially dangerous side-effects, though I understand they're rare. I have physical health issues complicating my emetophobia and, for what it's worth, have taken prochlorperazine long-term with no major issues, though eventually I developed a contact allergy to it and switched to cyclizine.

I have no idea if GPs here will give out anti-emetics to emetophobics without underlying physical health issues, though; as people have already said, what you really want to be doing is seeking CBT or exposure therapy. I do think (perhaps unpopularly!) in the early stages of therapy it's not necessarily harmful to be taking anti-emetics IF it brings down your overall level of anxiety to a manageable level and makes you more able to function and focus on therapy - though in that case I'd assume eventually coming off them would be part of your exposure hierarchy.

Thank you for posting this. I was actually thinking of giving it a go, but seeing this feels like a sign not to. I'm not in a hugely bad place at the moment, but we're thinking of starting a family soon and I don't want to freak out when my children get ill.

Don't write it off because of one post on a forum, It's worth a try. Hypnotherapy works for some people and not fur others. It's wrong to say that it plain 'doesn't work'... It works for some

I don't think it's fair to say hypnotherapy doesn't work, it would be more correct to say it didn't work for you. I've heard of people who had great results from it. Everyone experiences this phobia differently and everyone has different ideas of what being recovered means to them.