Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fear Of Becoming Sick

I never thought I would ever write on a forum, but I wanted to try it.
    I have always had a fear of throwing up being a kid. I'm now 15 years old and now it's hitting me hard.. Ever since my girlfriend got sick, and starting throwing up I started to freak out about getting what she had. I wasn't even with her I was texting her at the time. I freaked out, knowing oh my god I'm starting to feel sick (knowing very well it's in my head) I don't believe it started just then. I have always been avoiding sicknesses, in my own little ways. Intill that day my girlfriend got sick it was really bad for me. Now all the time I make myself feel sick worrying and worrying about getting sick ( vomitting) when it's nothing truly. It Scares me it's affecting my life a lot. I really do not know what to do because I hate making myself seem sick. I Never know if I'm actually sick or if it's my head. Besides that I have questions like can a person go many years without throwing up,( I have a really strong immune system) , and are there ways to cope this situation I'm stuck in. Thanks for taking time to read this. I believe this can get worse.

Default Re: Fear Of Becoming Sick

You did the right thing reaching out. There are a lot of people here that can lend an esr and give you advice. I myself have struggled with this off and on since I was your age. You can manage and get better. There is hope. I have my down times usually when my daughter gets sick. Over time you start learning differences between anxiety and actually being sick. You can learn coping skills too. Have you thought about counseling to help with it?
    Having a good immune system is great. Keep up with that by exercise and a well balanced diet. And plenty of rest. Everyone is different on how viruses effect them. Some get sick more than others..some dont get the v all the time. You can go years without. Your best bet is by washing your hands..keeping them away from your face and try not to be around them when they are actually v. Oh and dont share utensils and glasses. Food in restaurants is harder. You can't control how clean those people are. Especially since these types of viruses are spread by injesting them..whether in food..on your hamds from another object..in drinks ect.
    I have been there where you are hearing about someone doing that and trying to convince myself I am not sick. It's hard. The mind is a persons worse enemy in that its hard to control wjen its racing and youre scared. For me its good to find things to keep me occupied that I enjoy. Praying helps me too. And inner talk. I talk to myself during and say soothing things that calm me.

Welcome to the forums!

A lot of times, stress and anxiety can make someone feel ill. There are also many people on here, including me, that have signatures that have a "ticker" that says the last time one V*... there are some people that have not V* in many years. Breathing techniques help some people. But for me, I stop breathing Or I breathe really fast. But usually I quit breathing :/
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am the same I start overthinking soon as someone mentions a sv is going around, I go into "protect" mode and will do my utmost to avoid any illness. I am 25 and have not had a sv since I was 7 but I have v*ed since then. I dread every winter thinking this year will be my year but hasn't happened yet.

Welcome Im 14 so I get what its like to be that age with fear. Look, this phobia sucks and I promise you it can and will get worse. Id say tell a school leader or your head of year if you have that. Tell someone who can get you free therapy. I know therapy sounds scary and no one has to know but if I had caught my phobia in its weaker stages, I wouldnt be on this forum thats for sure.

Good luck!
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

Im 15! Woop woop! :P i feel like it might happen a lot of the time! Im home tutored because of my phobia and anxiety and stuff! Haha! Nice to meet you! Hope you feeel welcome here, if ever you need to talk, im here!

Quote Originally Posted by robert319 View Post
    I am the same I start overthinking soon as someone mentions a sv is going around, I go into "protect" mode and will do my utmost to avoid any illness. I am 25 and have not had a sv since I was 7 but I have v*ed since then. I dread every winter thinking this year will be my year but hasn't happened yet.
    Exact same as me, except I will be 27 next month and don't see how I can possible make it another year without catching an sv

you can make it just like you made the other years, you two! ^^^^
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

Thanks for everything, means a lot that all you guys have replied! See I'm new to this I don't know if it's bad to say **vomit** or v* I think I'll stick to v*
    Anyways, since I posted last things have happened. Me and my girlfriend both got a cold at the same time. Wow did it ever scare me, instantly freaked out calmed down throughout it though lasted for a day and a bit. Anyways I'm over that but what's really bugging me is that stuff is going around right now. I have heard the word sv* 3-4 in the past few days and it makes me feel instantly cold. At the moment this second, I'm freaking out because in my head I feel weird. This is just so annoying already I don't need this in my life I have other anxiety issues to deal with and other things in my life at the moment that are destroying me. Just want to make it through this. There is just so much going
    On... Anyways another question. Are than anymore tips for dealing with this? Like carrying an item to make you feel safe. I always feel safe if I have a water bottle around me.

I just wanted to add that I've heard stories about people that have never v*ed once in their whole lives! I always carry a water bottle, hand sanitizer, my phone, mint gum (good for nausea), tums, and Tylenol.

Well, in my school... they don't allow things like Tums to carry around. However, mint or mint gum is good, hand sanitizer, and I take Vitamin C... almost every morning. How long have you been emetophobic?

Also, for the V*... many people, including me, get triggered when I see the word, because it bothers me. So, I just try to avoid it. It is not a requirement though.
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know it's ridiculous that I think that way. I don't worry about getting the flu and I've never had that either.