Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I usually do quite well with my emetophobia and recently I've been able to drink quite a bit and not feel sick or anything. I didn't think alcohol affected me in that way. However last night we had some friends round our student house and I ended up mixing terribly, even though I'd eaten loads. When most people went I sat down on the sofa and then the room started to spin and within ten minutes I had such severe nausea I started to panic and ran upstairs and sat on the top of the stairs.

It was well embarrassing in front of two of my friends but they were amazingly supportive considering they have no trouble with v* related things. One of them, my housemate James, helped so much that I didn't panic half as much as I would have done had I been alone. Taking an anti-emetic didn't seem to work but just having sympathetic friends made all the difference - and such a change after being ridiculed by my pre-university friends. My situation with James is a complex one because I'm in love with him but he doesn't return it, but at the same time he's one of my best friends and he's been such a rock to me! Just having him holding me in time of need really soothed everything.

Thankfully the nausea wore off after a couple of hours. I can't work out why I felt so sick after never feeling so sick through alcohol before. I think it was partly because my period came yesterday and it's heavier and more painful than normal. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

It was my closest episode for a while and I was mumbling "I haven't been sick for 11 and a half years...I can't do it now!"

Does anyone else there have supportive friends like this? It's such a weird phobia to some people (despite it being so common!) that I thought not many people would understand. I've had cruel friends in the past who were obviously not mature enough to see things from my side...I'm just glad I've got people now who I know are there for me when I have an emet lapse!

You're lucky to have such good friends. I had these friends who thought I was totally off the wall with this phobia. That would be one of the reasons I am not friends with them anymore.

I used to be able to drink and not feel sick to, but that has changed over the last couple of years. I hate the bed spins and the whole hangover thing. YUCK!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You're very lucky! My friends don't even know, lol! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]I don't think I will ever tell them, either...well, certainly not some of them, I can just imagine how weird and stupid they'd think it was.

So glad you recovered ok, Kazzia! Its sometimes hard to stop worrying after you have near misses like that.

kazzia,

glad you're feeling better now! u're lucky to have such supportive friends!! my friends don't really get it! i wish i had the guts the drink alcohol too!!! i'd love to go out and let me hair down!!!!

out of curiousity, which anti-emetics do you take?

It's hard to find understanding people these days. Glad to hear it (faith in humanity!), and that you didn't v*. :}

Idon't really have any friends--I see two people semi-regularly (as in every 3-6 months), but they've never seen me freak out. My sister's boyfriend has seen me panic a little, just not in the OMGOMGOMG *FLAILING* sense. My dad is the only onewho seems to be around when I panic, and he justgives me a kind of "Okay, what's wrong with you?" face. :P

Hmmmmm- generally, if I drink too much I start with the "I've got to go home....NOW". The last time it happened was on my 23rd birthday a year and a half ago- where I managed to drink an astounding bottle of wine, 16 shooters, and 2 beer. One of the bartenders found out it was my birthday and I stupidly allowed myself to be plied with drinks.

Grabbed a cab home- had to fight off one of my friends who wanted to stay over to make sure I was alright. At that point I knew I was going to vomit....didnt know when it was going to happen, but knew it was inevitable. I can't stand to have someone around when I'm throwing up....only my cat is allowed. Even my boyfriend, who is a nurse and wouldn't be phased by it.....I guess I would rather just deal with it on my own.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I take metoclopramide or something (spelt incorrectly no doubt but I can't be bothered to get the packet out my drawer! My mum's a nurse and knows all about the different anti emets but she said she'd rather me take some others cos these ones aren't all that good in some way or other). I only use them in emergencies which is rare thankfully.

Crimgoddess - I can't believe how much you drank on your birthday! However sometimes you get carried away drinking. Unlike you though the thought of being sick on my own terrifies me. I wasn't as petrified the other night cos I had my friends on hand and I know that James in particular isn't bothered by v* at all (lucky sod). So if I have HAD to be sick I'd rather it have been then. Luckily not at all :-)

A couple of years ago when I began Uni I was too scared to drink more than 2 or 3 drinks in case I was sick. Then I loosened up last year and had a few nights of 6+ drinks and mixing, and have done it since with just headache/dizziness. Last Friday was the first time I had proper nausea from it so I guess my stomach had had enough.

Off to the pub tonight, coke it is!!!