Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: weird question

Default weird question

If someone whose sick pets your dog, can you catch a virus from the dog because of germs left behind? I tried googling it but it only came back stuff searches related to can your dog make you sick, and not if someone sick touches your dog.

I was traveling and it seems everyone wants to pet my dogs. I'm sure no one was sick, cause I doubt people would be shopping in 85 degree weather if they were sick, but it got me to thinking.

I hate traveling now. I see the stomach bug everywhere I go... Hotels, gross... Restaurant food, potential food poisoning. Now complete strangers and their kids rubbing my dogs... Ugh.

For 15 yrs i never thought of it... Then I get a bug from my nephew that caused me to v*... and I'm obsessing over it the way I did for almost a full year after my bout 15yrs ago. I was as panicky then as I am now, feeling v* is inevitable and feeling sick nearly everyday because of THINKING about being sick makes me feel sick.

I think the only way I can get over it is to go a year without a bug. If I can do that, I can be well on my way to breaking my 15 yr record. I'm going for 20+ years next.

Has anyone had success with emeto, seeing a therapist?

Default Re: weird question

Indeed you can get a virus that way if a person coughed and was sick with a cold, then you pet the dog and then touched your eye (for example). Chances of you catching a sv* that way are super slim. That person would have had to have recently v'd or had d* (with noro) and had v* or d* particles on their hands, then putting them on your dog and you touching the dog and then your mouth (just like touching anything a sick person touched with the particles). It is possible, yes.... but VERY unlikely to happen.

Great. Of course my mom is sick. No v*, but bad diarrhea. She said she thinks it's cause she didn't poop for 12 hours while we sat must of the day on a boat, then on benches. But I'm thinking food poisoning which means if it's not something we both ate (chicken nuggets) it's a hot dog she ate that was cold in the middle... And since most causes of food poisoning are the same that causes a sv*... She could cause me to get it since I'm stuck in a room sharing a bathroom with her. Please let it only be diarrhea if I do... That I can handle

Food poisoning is nothing to do with norovirus. I think what you're thinking of is that most cases of what are considered food poisoning is in fact food contaminated with norovirus by an infected food preparer, hence mass outbreaks at buffets and so on. Food poisoning from an undercooked sausage would be bacterial not viral therefore not contagious.

As for the dog thing, I hate people stroking my dog too for the same reason, the thing is that any surface you touch has the potential to harbour all sorts of gems and viruses whether it's a door handle, tap, your shoes or your dog which is why you should always wash your hands before prepping or eating food or putting your fingers in your mouth.

In the UK you can buy dog odour sprays and wet wipes which I noticed contained benzalkonium chloride, idk if it was a high enough amount to have been able to kill norovirus but I must admit I did used to spray him a fair bit to begin with ( I was pregnant and spraying everything with anti bacterial and anti viral spray tbh) but in the end I decided it wasn't really fair on the dog to be coating him in chemicals every day so I don't do it now. If you really can't handle people touching him though then just tell people he bites!

Unfortunately so many people pet without asking...

But again, I doubt people would be shopping in terribly hot weather on a crowded day on an island. Plus there doesn't seem to be any bugs floating around this area.

My mom feels better. She thinks it was a combo of too much junk food and over 12hrs of not pooping. She said she never felt sick, sick... Just poop cramps.

I'm just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I have endometriosis that's gettIng worse, uterine polyps and adenomyosis. That, and the side effects from the treatment the doctor tried, makes me feel gross 24/7... And panicking about being sick Actually makes me feel sicker... And ticks off my mom.

So I'm starting to think of getting therapy. I'm trying a little self help now... I'm trying not to panic about petting my dogs even though others touched them. It's really hard, but I'm doing it.

Good for you to continue petting your dog, that is a step in the right direction. I kiss and cuddle my dog all the time and the same with my cat and I've never got sick from them. Therapy would be a good idea and to just keep taking small steps and pushing yourself a little further as and when you feel up to it.

Thanks. I'm trying. I think if I can get through this season without getting sick, sick... I should be okay. I went 15 years without being sick, so I'd I can avoid it this season, I can maybe make it another 15 or more.