Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How Katy Perry, Beyonce, Bradley Cooper deal with our fears

Just a thought that cropped up during one of my panics last night when I indulged in some m&M's haha(self inflicted!)

I calmed down and watched a chat show and Bradley Cooper was on it and Katy perry...and it left me thinking, these guys gig and do two year long tours and projects, how the heck do they cope if theyr sick?? I study music and have had little anxieties about what might happen to me because some assessments have been an hour long and weirdly, I've always been very well...albeit nervous haha.

I did watch Katy accept an award years ago an apparently she managed to hold in her v* until after she got off stage and was laughing about it on Twitter afterwards. Man I wish I could be like that...I couldn't even be like that in my home alone let alone in front of the movie stars etc...

I also wanna travel with my music when I graduate but I know I must be a strong woman about bugs and viruses, especially cos I got a few auditions with a Cruise line- eek!! Oh well...any thoughts??

Default Re: How Katy Perry, Beyonce, Bradley Cooper deal with our fears

It just puts into perspective how much we blow v* out of proportion. It's something nobody likes but others are able to see it as something harmless, just unpleasant. I'm sure their adrenaline is going which helps them to push through in situations like that - when they actually are sick.

Imagine someone being afraid to sneeze. That's kind of how others perceive emetophobia. Both are a momentary body function where you lose control, it feels strange, but they're both over quickly and provide a purpose. Admittedly, sneezing doesn't have the same gross factor as v* but otherwise the two are similar. So imagine someone asking you how you get through your day, aren't you afraid you might have to sneeze? That's how silly emetophobia really is. Other people, such as the celebrities you mentioned, think as much about v* as we (or anyone) thinks about the possibility of sneezing. Does that make sense? Haha

Interesting perspective; )

I love that comparison so so much!!!! I never used to be able to explain emet to my close friends or even boyfriend cos they shrug it off when say 'I'm feeling anxious again!!' ...and sometimes I wanna be like 'Imagine if you had a fear of falling over!' And its just not a good comparison but its true, its a silly fear we obsess over but it just doesn't go away.....

That definitely makes sense though, I just can't even picture being on a chat show and feeling n* all of a sudden, that would scare me so bad...and a concert! Argh!

It definitely helps me to think of it that way, though I've never shared it with anyone before haha. It transfers over so well too.

Imagine every time someone sneezes in public you start to become outraged with them because "what if it's something contagious that I'll catch and make me sneeze? How could they expose all of us to something like that? How inconsiderate!"

Or your spouse/child/parter/whoever is out enjoying their day and you're just praying they was their hands really well if someone sneezed near them so they don't get sick and bring it home to you. You worry they may lie to you and tell you they were never exposed to anyone sneezing but deep you you don't fully trust them.

I try to just imagine how I would handle someone expressing a fear like this to me. What would I tell them? And then I remind myself that emetophobia is no different.

But yes, I'd be pretty nervous if I felt n* on stage or in front of a lot of people as well haha because emetophobia does that. But truthfully, I don't think most people would be uncomfortable standing in front of a crowd knowing they were close to v*.