Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation need some reassurance! :'(

so last night, my mother was vomiting and having diarrhoea all night due to a stomach bug. I am absolutely petrified about getting it. I
    haven't used that bathroom aswell as washing my hands thoroughly and often (after I use the bathroom, before I eat, after I've touched things that she might have touched etc.). what's made me so scared is the fact that this morning, I used my toothbrush which had been sitting in the same bathroom my mother had been vomiting etc. I've been shaking and sweating and crying ever since. will I get sick? I'm so terrified and just need some reassurance! :'( She's been in the same room all day, and I've stayed off school to help her out. I'm so scared and I feel really alone in the way I'm feeling. no one seems to understand to incredible fear I have for being sick

Default Re: need some reassurance! :'(

I can definitely understand the fear you have about being sick. I used to be so terrified of it too. I've come a long way since then but I can still vividly remember what it was like. Hang in there! You're going to be ok.

I wish there was a way I could guarantee that you won't get sick, but nobody can do that unfortunately. (I always thought that I could handle being sick better if I knew if and when it was going to happen so I could be prepared... sadly it doesn't work that way.) What I can tell you for certain is that you will be absolutely fine even if you catch that bug. I promise. I'm not saying you won't feel scared, uncomfortable, etc but whatever happens it won't last long. You will get through it and you will be perfectly healthy again. This will soon all be a memory and life will go on.

I always ask myself, "so what if I get sick?" It's simply and seems silly but it sure helps put things into perspective (because there probably isn't a good, logical answer to that question.) Just keep telling yourself, "Maybe I'll get sick, maybe I won't. But I can handle it if I do. It won't last forever. Nobody likes when it happens to them but it's not the end of the world. I'm going to be ok and I'm going to feel good again!"

You've got this! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you through it!