Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Eating troubles?

Hey guys, I'm new to this site but I have suffered from emetophobia pretty much my whole life. However it got bad about 3 years ago when I was 14. Recently I've been having a lot of trouble with eating and drinking like I physically cannot bring myself to eat or drink anything and I'm losing weight like crazy. I went from being 53kg at the start of November to now being 44kg. Does anyone else have this trouble with eating and also with an acid reflux/heartburn feeling in their chest and tummy? Cheers

Default Re: Eating troubles?

I'm also new to this site.
    A few years ago I went through this as well. mine stemmed from nearly choking/v*miting at a restaurant. after that, I was scared to eat anything. I lost a lot of weight and it took me a while to feel comfortable eating again.
    What do you think is causing you to feel this way?

The reason you feel like your stomach is burning is because you're not eating. You have stomach acid in your stomach which will burn when there's nothing else there. I promise you that eating will make you feel better, not worse!

hi! I went through this same issue when I first joined this site and my phobia was extremely bad. As hard as it is please, please try to make yourself eat something even if it's small and start working up from there, continue to slowly expand your horizons. I promise that you will feel SO much better when you are eating more regularly, I know that from experience. Not eating is only going to feed your phobia and make things harder, you CAN do this!

Many of us have went through eating issues. Some eat too much, some don't eat enough. It's all about finding a balance. I had a starving myself phase, everybody thought I was bulimic (IRONY!!!). Now I eat normally again, and I struggle with accepting my body at a normal weight. It's a slippery slope for some, so please try to eat. Are you under any extra stress lately? Mine started my senior year of college (the food restricting) and into my freshman and sophmore year of college. I think it was just the added stress making my emet and anxieties even worse than usual. I still will go a day or two without eating if I am extra stressed. And trust me, not eating can make you feel HORRIBLE too. If the acid reflux is bothering you, there are a variety of medications out there that work wonders.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I also had similar issues before where every time I ate my stomach hurt so I stopped eating, or barely ate and lost a lot of weight. Like others have said, not eating actually made my stomach hurt worse than when I did eat. When going through these phases I would eat things that were easier for me to digest like apple sauce or a smoothie. Something is better than nothing, even if you have to in small amounts. Crackers or toast help absorb the acid.

I have ahd trouble with eating off and on since I was 11. The worst of these were at age 11 and 17 when I lost a lot of weight. My fear was contaminated food to begin with but also that eating often made me feel unwell. I have since been diagnosed with IBS which is caused by stress so in a way the phobia of eating was self fuelling. The feeling on your chest you describe could well be IBS. I think its quite common in phobics.