Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I haven't been on in a long time...I really need some reassurance :(

Hello All!

ive had such a rough weekend and I'm just freaking out badly.

I'm 5 months pregnant- my 15 month year old son v* 3 times on Friday...that's all and he was fine after that....no d* and no other symptoms. He was very hungry after and hour so I gave him some applesauce and pedialite and kept it all down. So I was thinking, well maybe this wasn't a bug and maybe he was just too full or he ate too fast.

well, on Sunday morning, 3am, my husband woke up sick. He swears it was food poisoning from the Indian food we ordered because he didn't feel right after he ate it and because it was coming out both ends and it lasted from 3am - 7am and couldn't keep anything down.

im so shaky from th weekend and my anxiety is so high that I don't feel like eating anything and I can't tell if I really am sick or if it's just anxiety. I took every precaution and haven't touched my mouth and I cleaned everything.
    im really scared and I don't want to get sick, especially if I'm pregnant..

Default Re: I haven't been on in a long time...I really need some reassurance :(

It might just be coincidences, it doesn't have to be a bug. As long as you are careful with your hygiene in any case, you should be fine. I know it's so hard, but try your best and relax, I'm sure you will feel better if you are able to calm down. Anxiety can make us feel so horrible and I'm so sorry you have to go though this. I'm sure you will be fine. ❤️

Default Re: I haven't been on in a long time...I really need some reassurance :(

Thank you, blue. I'm trying so hard to o calm down but I just can't stop shaking....I'm so convinced I'm going To v*. I'm so scared and I'm so afraid to become dehydratedbeing pregnant.

Your husband's symptoms sound like norovirus, to be honest, not food poisoning. So do be careful about disinfecting the bathroom he used. Doesn't mean the food was the cause at all, though, cause if it was you would have been sick at the same time. The upside is that if it was a bug, you're most likely in the clear because you would have gotten symptoms within 48 hours or so of exposure (unless you contaminated yourself later from surfaces). Can you call your doctor and ask if you can have any medication/tips to avoid being ill because you're afraid of dehydration? They might be willing to prescribe an anti-emetic just in case. Can you keep a supply of gastrolyte on hand too, so you can sip it if you do get ill?

Kaikey how are you doing now? So sorry to hear you've had such a stressful time! It must be scary for you having to deal with this twice over, from your son and your husband too! But you know what, it sounds like you've done all the right things and have been very careful, so there's no reason why you would get anything now do try to eat something, even if its just toast or crackers or some soup. I know it's hard when you're panicking, but you'll feel better. And sleep is good too, we can mentally deal with things a lot better when we're well rested. Try to relax, watch a movie you like or talk to a friend. You're going to be okay!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

Hey guys, thank you for all your support. Turns out I was sick all night so my son did bring home a Sv (my husband I just had it worse I guess). I really don't understand how I caught it since my husband used a totally separate bathroom and when I did clean it, I used gloves and a mask and I never put my fingers in my mouth. This is the second sv my son brought home within 5 months and have all been sick but last time my son didn't v, just diarrhea, but the rest of us v. Sometimes I think about being a stay at home mom so I won't have to deal with this.

Sorry you were ill, that really sucks There's quite a few possibilities, even if you didn't use the same bathroom, a lot of stomach viruses can be transmitted between surfaces: let's say your husband vomited, it sent a spray of viral particles around that fell on surfaces like the sink, toilet, etc. Then even if he washes his hands after vomiting, if he touches a contaminated surface again, the virus is back on his hands and he can transfer it to other surfaces (light switches, door knobs, TV remote, etc.) where you can pick it up on your hands. Then all you need to do is eat something with your hands or prepare food and you are at risk of ingesting the virus. Could also be that the virus was on someone's hands when they came in, and they contaminated a surface in the same way, before your husband was sick even. And you just picked it up later. There's reports of workers getting ill from norovirus two months after someone was ill on a carpet, because as they ripped it out it sent a spray of invisible dried vomit particles that fell on their mouth.

Also, being a stay at home mom could help reduce the number of stomach virus occurrences, yes. That's true. But you can't avoid it entirely. To be honest, I stayed with my grandparents instead of going to daycare and when I started school they picked me up for lunch and I ate there and went there straight after school for supper, and I only caught a stomach virus three times I think (once was due to a hotel, on vacation, where the previous tenants had had norovirus). Which is pretty good compared to my current colleagues whose kids get them on an average of twice a year. As to whether that's giving in to the phobia or a good option, that's for you to know.

Ugh, I'm having anxiety thinking I caught the same thing but I know you're immune to it once you get it.....I really hate this time of the year