Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've really had enough of this!

Every so often I seem to be getting really bad stomach gurgles - NOT accompanied by nausea, or any other discomfort. It actually kept me awake the other night, but perhaps that was just because I was conscious of it, I mean our stomachs are always making noises, we just tend not to notice. I don't think it's IBS, or at leastI hope not. I have noticed it most of all after I've had alot of tea or coffee - which is strange becauseI've had those drinks foryears and I'm pretty sure they never used toaffect me. Maybe I just notice it more now my emet is worse?

I don't know - please, has anyone got any ideas or suggestions, or has anything similar? Maybe I just need more exercise, or something!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

Hi there.

The gurgling that you are hearing is peristalsis whichis the movement of the food you have eaten thorugh your digestive tract. The digestive action happens throughout the day but we hardly notice it or hear it because we are pre-occupied with the day's activities. When you are lying down and are quiet, it is more noticeable. Caffine in coffee and tea speed up the digestive process and that is why it may be more noticeable after ingestion of caffine products.

It is also a good probability that you are now noticing this more becuase your emet being worse. However, your stomach and intestines are always making noises; sometimes louder than others. Lay on someone's tummy for a few seconds, and you'll definately hear a ruckus!!

I notice that
    usually if I lay on my back trying to get to sleep, my stomach (if I
    think about it, or sometimes even not thinking about it) it will start
    to gargle and stuff real loud, and makes me uncomfortable so generally
    I don't fall asleep that way. Does anyone else get this? I tend to have
    to go to sleep on my side.</font></span>

Everything that missmls is right on the money! I think you are just noticing it more b/c of your emet. I find sometimes it's louder than at other times. Don't worry about it, just your body doing what it is supposed to do!!!

Crystal

That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Yes, i know how you feel. Usually when your stomach rumbles or makes noises you can actually feel it or its because your hungry (well with me anyway), but as my emet got worse, i started to notice my stomach more and more. it should become a new symptom!!!Edited by: billyboy
    (billy)

Like missmls said, all the grumbling is normal, especially after
    ingesting caffeine. I used to drink tons of coffee on purpose just to
    hear my intestines squelch. I found it such a hilarious recreational
    activity because my sister could hear them gurgling from 20 feet away.

Best hobby I ever had, at least until my body became immune to three cups of coffee in one sitting. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

If you don't focus on it, the uneasy feeling should subside. I've been
    kept awake by GI noises in the past, but only because I became too
    aware of the gurgling sensation. It's a bit unpleasant; think happy
    thoughts! (Insert Big Book of Cliches here.)

Quote Originally Posted by one who squeaks
    Like missmls said, all the grumbling is normal, especially after ingesting caffeine. I used to drink tons of coffee on purpose just to hear my intestines squelch. I found it such a hilarious recreational activity because my sister could hear them gurgling from 20 feet away.
    Best hobby I ever had, at least until my body became immune to three cups of coffee in one sitting. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

If you don't focus on it, the uneasy feeling should subside. I've been kept awake by GI noises in the past, but only because I became too aware of the gurgling sensation. It's a bit unpleasant; think happy thoughts! (Insert Big Book of Cliches here.)

LOL!!! Hobby???
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick note....caffeine actually can bring on panic attacks, or make you anxious. I stayed COMPLETELY away from caffeine (even chocolate) for some time when my anxiety/emet was at it's worst. Now though....lord, gimme coffee in the morning!!!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Ahh, thanks guys =D A life without coffee is something I can't imagine, but I think I'll cut down, as I'm totally fed up with the gurgles!

Tah for all the reassurance!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"