Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Since I have had a bad week and have feeling like the worst mum ever and a bad wife and just generally really low, I decided it was time to look at brave positive things I have done in the past year to fight against emetophobia. They are only silly little things, but brave steps for me.

I went and helped out at my daughters school for a morning. I used to work with children but after having my own children my emetophobia became worse than ever and I really had to push myself to help at my daughters school.

I visited my mum in hospital and my grandad 4 times in a nursing home. I did not relax the whole time I was there but I did it.

Icamped ata weekend music festival with my husbandand survived. I did not enjoy it at all. There really was alot of v* and I freaked out many times. My husband could not understand what was up with me. I am sure we were the only people not drinking thereand I noticed everyone whov* near me. it did get too much when a man lay for 2 hours in his own v*. I hid behind my husband, pulled my hat over my eyes and willed the time to pass quickly. I even made my husband walk 3 miles with me to the local tescos to use the toilet as the toilets there were beyond anyones worst nightmare. I only went for my husbandand he really enjoyed the music so I am glad I did it for him. Only trouble is he wants to do it again this summer. Aaaghh.

Ihave started taking my son to Tumble Tots. This means I have to take a bus for 5 miles as my eyesight means I can not drive.(I have not travelled on a bus since I was 12 and someone was sickright by the door and we all had to step over it to change busses). Anyway, I have made the journey 7 times now and I have survived.

I have had my daughter's friends into play whilst my husband is away at sea. I used to wait until he was home just in case they were unwell.

These are only little steps, but they havebeen difficult. I so much want to be a good mum and not to continually ask my husband if he is alright. I couldmake a much longer list of negative things I have done in the last year due to emetophobia but I will try and focus on the good things and hopefully I can make the list so much longer.

Oh my--I had a similar experience as the one you had at the music festival. A couple of years ago, my husband and I took our girls to a Kansas City ROyals (baseball) game, in the row in front of us was this large group of young people, some of whom were of legal age, and who were supplying alcohol to the others in the group. One of the girls was so drunk she was falling over in her seat and passed out, the next time I looked, she had v'ed ALL OVER HERSELF, and into the drink holder at her feet. Then all of her "friends" LEFT HER!!!!!!!!!!!!! My kids were witnessing this disgusting display, so I went and got a policewoman, she went down to the girl, woke her up, the girl got anattitude with cop, kicked over the tray w/her v* in it, it was absolutely ridiculous. THe cops found her friends and made them take her home, then the cop came over to me and said that the girl said she WANTED TO SIT THERE IN HER OWN VOMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds terrible. The man at the music festival refused help from a paramedic. He too wanted to lie in his own v*. I could not think of doing anything worse. Yuck!

Curly...I am like you...I have become much worse of an EMET since I became a mother, but in the last 6 monts...I have taken big steps. I let my son have friends over, I sent him to pre-school. We play on playgrounds, we go the kids museum. We go to art classes for kids, story times, gymnastics, and music class. I am scared a lot of the time, but it always works out fine. Yes, I do admit that I do it for my son and one day I do not want to look back and regret that I did not do things for him and with him due to an insane fear of something natural that our bodies do. I hate that I worry about V* all the time, but what I hate more is depriving my son of a great childhood.

Way to go and keep up the good work. I do pat myself on the back every singel night when I go to bed and thank God that I am able to do the things with my son and hope that we stay well. That is all we can do and we must live and let our precious little ones enjoy life too. They are only young once and we can be scared for the rest of our lives.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

Well said Gubba.

I keep feeling so guilty that I am not being the mum I want to be because of emetophobia, but I do try not to make my children miss out. I take my son to 3 groups a week, toddler group, Tunble Tots and music groupand my daughter attends 2 after school clubs-swimming and Rainbows. It is a worry, but I owe it to my children. I was always very shy and lacking confidence as a child and I am determind not to have shy children. My 2 and a half year oldson does seem to lack confidence in social situations so I have pushed myself to mix him more with other children so I can make life easier for him in the future. I just wish I could relax and enjoy these activities more without worrying about v*.

Well done in fighting emet and making your sons childhood exciting and full of new experiences.

Curly Wurly you are doing wonderful and you should be really proud of yourself. Don't feel that you are a bad mom at all because there are horrible, horrible parents out there that pay no attention to their children and should not have kids at all. All of these accomplishments mean that you are trying and that's what really counts.

Sometimes I feel horrible as well when I can't take care of my sick daughter, but it's a force that we just can't help and this is only a few (hopefully) times a year that it happens.

Keep up the great job! I'm sure your kids love you very much and know that you are the best mom in the world.

By the way, how is everyone feeling? I hope all is well.

Alissa