Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm not sure if anyone has thought about this..I'm not even sure that it's a topic on the website already, but it's something I've been thinking about since I want to go back to school to study nursing. When you're a nurse, whether RN or LPN, you have to deal with vomiting, along with other sicknesses among people. For me, though, the fact that I can have a job anywhere in the worldd outweighs the fact that I would have to deal with vomiting. It's a good challenge as well, because it forces me to deal with it, whereas at other times I ran away. When I first thought about nursing school it was the possible math that scared me away, because I'm terrible at math and therefore have a phobia of math (heh) but I realized the other side of the coin. I don't really think there are emet nurses or doctors, are there? It would be rather difficult because to be both, really. I realize that there's all kinds of medical fields of nursing, such as labor and delivery, emergency room, school nurses, etc. but they all will have to deal with vomiting sooner or later, especially expectant mothers and sick babies. I used to work in a nursing home and sometimes I did get vomited on. In that instance I figured they couldn't help it and my clothes were washable, it wasn't the end of the world.

Has anyone out there considered a career in the medical field where you have to deal with people? Has emetophobia held you back from it? And is anyone currently in the medical field who's dealing with emetophobia?

So many questions, I have! As more and more I'm trying to fight this phobia, they just keep coming...[img]smileys/smilies_17.gif[/img]
    Somewhere out there things make sense..someone knows where it is and guards the secret...

There are a few people who are looking to go into medicine on this board, or who already are- I believe there are a few nurses, a handful of med students, and an EMT.

My boyfriend is an RN, and I am jealous at the fact that not only does he love his job, but he can get work pretty much anywhere, as you have stated. He was recruited from Ottawa, CAnada to work in California right out of school- and when he moved back her (errr....met an Ottawa girl who can be very pursuasive [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]), two hospitals were scrambling to get him, and one offered him a hefty moving bonus. It's great because with my field, I really have to pick very carefully where I want to work (I'm in grad school and want to eventually teach at the University level)- so no matter where I go in the world, he can get work. I considered going to medical school in order to be aforensic pathologist- but at the time my emet was more severe, and when I found out I would have to do a few rotations with live patients I completely dropped the idea (ARG!). I really enjoy what I study now, so have no thoughts about going back into that...but if I did I'm sure I would be able to develop some ways by which to cope.

<<<I used to work in a nursing home and sometimes I did get vomited on. In that instance I figured they couldn't help it and my clothes were washable, it wasn't the end of the world.>>>

This is an excellent attitude to have! If you can step out of the situation for a minute and realize how sick or in painthe people you are working on are, and how vomit is a relatively minor inconvenience to you (even though it is revolting)- it makes things a lot easier. Whenever I have had kids that I have babysat vomit on/around me, my first instinct was to get mad or freak out (which you obviously can't do when you have a four year old who is freaking out themself). I talked myself through the situation with the rationale that they are little and can't always control it- and didn't mean to get sick (nor did they want to, judging by their response). I'm responsible for them, and if I didn't take care of them I wasn't doing my job.

Good luck with your schooling- nursing is sucha broad and rewarding field that I'm sure you will be able to find a section of it that you really enjoy.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am currently taking nursing. Just starting my LPN, through correspondace (sp?) I think this job will be facinating. I want to eventually be a mid-wife, or maybe surgurical nurse. I will get my RN regardless, although it might take longer b/c I am taking it through distance b/c I am phobic of the college (long story, but v* involved).

Don't worry too much about the math stuff. In the broad spectrum of math, it is basic adding, subtracting. There are no 'x' and 'y' on some transverse plain....I was (am) terrible in math as well. I have no idea how many times I failed math!!

Good luck!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

well I've never had any desire to go into any medical feild so I don't really identify. and it was never because of my phobia, until after that developed...I think someone vomitting on me would be worse for me. Maybe that's why I avoid places like nursing homes like crazy!

I've seen a few emets at this board who are doctors or in medical school. I think we're pretty much everywhere.

Edited by: chicajojobe

Hi DinahRT,

I am a 5th yr medical student in London England and so far I think it has helped my emet. I don't think I was ever that bad, and I count myself lucky for that. However, I still feel terrified at the prospect of patients throwing up on me, having to hear/see it etc. I know it probably will happen and when the time comes I will just deal with it. From the sounds of things, you have dealt with being vomited on really well, so it really wouldn't be a problem for you to become a nurse!

So far, having seen/heard patients vomit, it has been fine. Yes I have felt anxious but I haven't panicked or run away. I have just controlled my anxiety and in a way it is a good exposure therapy.I am terrified of the day I become a real doctor and running away won't even be a possibility, but I think most of the fear comes from the fears everyone has about becoming a Dr, rather than the emet part.

I have never told anyone about my emet, but I believe there are probably more emets in the healthcare profession that we realise. I certainly haven't met any who've admitted it- but no doubt there are some around, like myself! 2 of my friends have mentioned they are vomit phobic, but I don't believe they truly are because they seemed to deal with it fine on the wards.

Good luck - GO FOR IT!

futuredr xxxx

I am a registered nurse. I was an emet when I started nursing school. You are right about being able to go anywhere and do anything and that does outweigh the risks of being around v*. There are many fields of nursing that you could go into that you wouldnt even have to be around sick patients. I have done med-surg nursing, acute rehab, administrative and long term care.

I really have an issue when I hear of a stomach virus going around in the facility I am at, especially long term care because the do go around especially this time of year. I get really scared and want to call out. I know its childish and I try very hard not too. It isvery challenging!

As far as math, I was scared too. I was actually very nervous about all the prereq's because the school I went to is very competitive and you basically need a 4.0 GPA to get accepted into the nursing program, unless you take the ACT. I tried my best and gave it my all and did get a 4.0 GPA. I ended up graduating with honors and was on the Dean's List every semester. BUT math does play a part (where I went to school). You do solve for "X" and calculate drug dosages, drip factors for IV's (even though you probably will never need it, but you never know because you could have a power outage). You deal with fractions, decimals and a little algebra. At least I did.

I would definitely do it. Nursing is a great field with lots of rewards, financially and emotionally![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I conquer with madisonsmom...there is math. Not necessarily HARD math, but math. I worked in a pharmacy, and I never had any problems with doing any calculation for meds that we had to do, and, like I said, I am horrible at math. It's not too bad. Yes you need to calculate meds, but it's not like you might be thinking!

Madisonsmom.....how do you remember the right way to landmark lung lobes??? I have a practical exam tommorrow, and this is on part that I just can't seem to remember! I am terrified for tommorrow...[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Crystal

No its not bad math. Not at all. I would not let that discourage you.

Crystal,

We learned 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 - this is how we ausculate. I start at the apices(very top) and work my way down. Be sure to listen to each side then go down. Know what I mean?

Here is a couple of links

http://sprojects.mmi.mcgill.ca/mvs/RESP01.HTM

These arereally cool sites for heart and lung sounds

http://www.med.ucla.edu/wilkes/intro.html

http://medocs.ucdavis.edu/IMD/420C/sounds/lngsound.htm

Just wanted to say that I know what you mean about the exams. Is it a skills check?Edited by: madisonsmom

Oh wanted to add about the math...

The only time I have actually used basic algebra in calculating drug calculations is when I have worked with pediatrics and I have also had to calculate heparin and cardizem drips.

Here is another good site

http://allnurses.com/forums/f8/

Its a message boards for nurses, nursing students, or just thinking about becoming a nurse. Its a great place to post questions!!

Thanks everybody for the comments. One thing though..is there a place where I can take the ACT? I wasn't a 4.0 student in high school, I was like a B+ student. I do plan to give it my all though, because that is what I had been thinking about lately, the fact that if I had the chance to go back to school I would be more serious and graduate with honors. When I was in school, if there was something I didn't want to do, then I wouldn't do it. That got me trouble, and I didn't start really trying for honor roll until junior and senior year of high school, and I did get on it in my last year of high school. It felt good but I wished I would have been more serious about academics and gotten on the National Honor Society or something. Since I'm older, I know it takes more to get it together and work if you want it. If anyone can give me advice on how to get through the prerequisites, I would greatly appreciate it!
    Somewhere out there things make sense..someone knows where it is and guards the secret...

hiya....yeah, it's a skills test. BecauseI am doing distance ed, you have to be able to preform all the skills (obviously [img]smileys/smilies_18.gif[/img]), and all I have really had to work with is a video. Which, I may add, is sooooooo boring. At least put something interesting in there to keep us awake!

I plan on watching the dumb thing over and over again tonight, as well as going over notes, diagrams, ect. The first time I tried I was no where near ready to do it, and completely bombed [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Well, off to study!

Crystal

I wasnt a 4.0 student in high school either. I made up for it in college. Thats where I made the Dean's List. I made sure I knew my stuff when it became exam time.

You should be able to take the ACT at the college you are interested in. They have many ACT prep courses you can take.

My advice about prereq's is read, read, read, study, study, study. And attend all classes.

Crystal,

I dont know how you do distance ed...thats got to be HARD!Edited by: madisonsmom

I actually do really well this way. So far my overall average is about 94%. The skill testing is either passor redo. I'm allowedthree tries at it, then I have to pay for the whole course again, and redo the assignments andexams. This will be try #2, so I plan to pass!!!

One of the reasons I am doing this distance, is b/c I get to pay for one course at a time if I choose. I couldn't possibly afford to payfor a semester, so this way it's all on my own pace. We areonly allowed 2 years to complete, and of course, there are practicums is continuing care and hospitals, as well as two that we pick that are specialized. I plan on doing a surgical, and a maternity.

Anyhoo, back to study, I just came on to check something on the website from the school!!! Oops...lol!

Crystal

PS...wish me luck, lord knows I am gonna need it! [img]smileys/smilies_25.gif[/img]

Hiya,

I'm a dental student...and it makesstudying, especially in clinics,way more difficult than it should be.

Ever had an impression taken of your mouth? Yeah, the ones that make you gag and are very uncomfortable? Try doing those and being an emet. Not fun. I also have had to have other inexperienced students practise on me!Fiddling aroundthe back of a patients throat? Not too good either. Also,I've been desensitised to the sight of v* slightly, sincethere's always some outside the frontdoor of thedental hospital to greet you in the morning!I have also witnessed patients come into practices various times complaining of the bug they had, or that they feel ill, or that they've v* the night before. And I can't imagine being face to face with that...

But for me at the end of the day, I've wanted to do this for a long time and I've worked hard to get where I am. I went to get treatment purely because I knew it was going to make practising dentistry hard. I love what I'm doing and for that reason I just go for it.

If you really wanta career in medicine or healthcare, I think you find you just deal with it. I haven't had witness anyone v* yet, but I suppose when the time comes, you just deal, cause there is no other option.Edited by: junglemonkey
    I traded my dreams for this mess of memories,
    And they just stopped working for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crystal - How did you do??

Hi,
    I'm a medical assistant but have been away from it for a while to raise my kids. I once worked in a pediatrician's office (CRAZY?) and only encountered v* once. Thankfully I was so uncomfortable (panicked) that one of the DRs cleaned it (in the waiting room). I want to do phlebotomy (drawing blood) when I return to the workforce but I, too, am scared, because some people faint or feel sick when getting blood taken. I am hoping this fear doesn't interfere with my goals. It is tough, but I have always loved the med field.

I am new on here... I just registered tonight. I am a pharmacist
    (PharmD), and I've suffered from emetophobia since I was in 2nd
    grade. I'm 28yo now, and I had all of the same types of thoughts
    and feelings that you have about entering the medical field.
    Although working in the pharmacy may be a cleaner profession from the
    sense of not having much direct patient contact, I still worried about
    touching presciptions brought in from sick patients, and having to
    counsel patients with sv or other illnesses.

I just want to reassure you that through 6 yrs of schooling, countless
    days spent in hospitals and pharmacies, and 3 yrs of working in a
    pharmacy... I've only been sick one time with the sv, and I didn't
    V. So, if you feel that you can tolerate seeing patients V, or
    cleaning... I don't think the odds of you getting sick from the
    patients are that much greater than the odds of getting sick from being
    in public. My mother is a nurse(doesn't have emetophobia), but
    she did say that she deals with patients V on a very routine
    basis. I don't think I could do that, but if that type of thing
    doesn't bother you... than I say... go for it.

I am so unbelievably happy and reassured to find this site. I've
    read a lot of posts, and they are all questions that have gone through
    my mind over the years. I wish you all the best in your career as
    a nurse if that's what your pursue... they are in demand these days...
    please post your decision and how things turn out.