Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: am i weird?

OK so here's the deal. I've been afraid of v* since before I can remember. I remember when i was a kid, i would always call my parentswhen iused to spend the night at friends house and ask them "Do you think I will v*?" I always got the same answer from them which was "no." Every night before I would go to bed I would ask them the same question and get the same responce. Until one night I did get sick. I knew, there was no way for them to really know. For years I would panic when I, or a member of my family, or someone I was in contact with was or had recently been ill. In the past 6 or 7 years though I started developing some weird habbits. For instance, I CAN'T eat without washing my hands at least 3 times. If I'm in a place where I can't wash my hands, I either HAVE to use a fork, or I just don't eat. It can get a little embarrasing too. For instance, recently I was on my lunch break and was in a hurry, so I had some chic-fil-a and decided to eat it in my car. I tried my best to eat without using my hands and I know I must have looked weird. If a family member is sick, I have to leave and stay with someone else for at least 48 hours. If someone I'm in contact with is not feeling well, i ask them VERY SPECIFIC what is wrong and if they do say they are n* I PANIC! Now, d* doesn't bother me as much as being n* or v*. Of course I don't like it either. Am I weird? Does anyone have simular habits? how about different ones?

I have many many strange habbits that no doubt some people share with me,

I flush toilets with my feet
    Turn taps on and off with loo roll
    Wash my hands twice before making food
    Wash them while im still making the food
    wash them after ive finished making the food
    wash my hands before I go out
    wash them when I come home before I do anything
    Wass all fruit and veg no matter what
    wash a glass then rinse it again before I use it
    re-wash most dishes im going to use before eating out/on them
    wipe my keyboard every single night with anti-bacterial wipes and my mouse
    dont use food if its 2 days near to its sell by date
    hardly drink or use milk
    annoy my mother completly if she is cooking meat to not touch anything wear gloves and cook it longer than it needs to be
    wash the work surfaces with spray bleach every day and the taps and the dish board

Thats about all I can think of for the moment..

Your not the only one hun x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, if you're weird, I'm weirder LOL. Check my last new topic I just posted. Why do we do this to ourselves? Yes, I do a lot of those things, too. The eating/washing hands thing, I carry sanitizing hand wipes and hand gel but I still don't like to touch my food either unless I've had a chance to scrub my hands well with good old soap and water. I guess I'm a bit of a pessimist (that and my kids are little) and don't bother leaving for 48 hours if family members are s* 'causeI figure I've been exposed anyway and who knows what I'll be exposed to wherever I stay.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

rymc,

you're not weird, you're just being safe! i wash my hands before i eat anything and hand sanitizer is my best friend! lol .. i'm very compulsive about keeping everything around me disinfected. whether someone in my house is sick or not, i disinfect everything in my room usually once during the week. i sterilize my tooth brush in hot water for about two minutes before i use it everytime (i don't keep my toothbrush near anybody elses, but i'm afraid it could grab germs in the air) ANDjust like you i alwaysss ask my parents if i'm going to get sick! i am 18 years old and i still act as if they know the answer! i'm sure some people would look at our habits as a bit strange, but we understand the phobia and take precautions to avoid getting sick. you are completely normal in my opinion!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I'm with you all.

I very rarely eat when i'm out, unless there are forks or spoons available (I am puzzled how people can go shoping for hours around town, touching all sorts of things, then go and eat something with their fingers euw!!!)

I constantly wash my hands, but don't carry a hand sanitiser with me (maybe I should....) I eat my sandwiches still in the plastic or paper wrapper, instead of taking it out and holding it in one hand, and cut my fruit (egapples)up at home in the morning rather than take it with me to work to eat with my hands.

I'm with violet on most of her habbits and I'm with blondie90 on the toothbrush thing.I'm not really worried about the flu (though that can be a nasty bug in itself!) andI can cope withd*, butjust do not cope with v*.

Mostly, I think this behaviour is normal to avoid getting sick, but I do tire of it sometimes. I wish I had the guts to touch some food and put it in my mouth, but I just can't do it.

wow! this has been so encouraging! I'm so glad I found this place and hope to make a lot of friends who share my phobia. I just don't know who else to talk to.

somebody is always here to talk rymc! i hope you find the forums helpful. the people here are really really great!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Sounds a lot like me!!! The skin is peeling off on my hands from using so much Purell!!!!!

If I touch raw meat, I wash my hands over and over. In fact, I probably wash my hands 15 times a day and then use Purell. I flush the toilet with my foot. Don't touch faucet handles or door handles. And not just in the bathroom. I don't touch door handles going into stores, restaurants, etc if I can at all help it. I'll pull my sleeve down or use my shirt tail. There is Purell in both bathrooms in my house and on the kitchen table. I'm paranoid about dates on food, especially milk and dairy. If my 4 yr old is in bed and I hear him cough my heart skips a beat because I'm sure he's going to be sick. The list goes on and on.

So I guess we're all "normal"!!!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]