Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: I hate this.

Hi Everyone

I can't wait for flu season to be over. Like.. seriously. And why is it that you suddenly hear about people getting sick all at once????? I'm scared. Apparently there is a nasty stomach virus going around the city.

Last night I was on my way to a concert (Rob Thomas oh my god he's hot) with my friend Jess. We are halfway there, in her car, when she tells me her boyfriend, whom she lives with, had diarrhea and was throwing up all day for like, 36 hours on Thurs/Friday. And they were away at the time... so he had been in the car. That I was sitting in. I started freaking out. And what if she's harbouring the virus??? What if I caught it off her??!?!? So that kind of ruined the concert for me but whatever.

So then this morning I decide to call my friend Lesley to tell her how God-like Rob Thomas was last night (haha..sorry i was drooling over him!) and her mom told me she was in bed sleeping and i started laughing because its late for her to be sleeping. She said "Well she wasn't feeling well last night, there's a nasty flu going around the house, Trevor (Lesley's live-in bf) was up all night thursday throwing up, she may have caught that....." And then she tells me that its going around like crazy, that 5-6 people at her work had it. And Jess had told me that Brian caught his from his friend... oh my god I hate this. I really do. I know all I can do is wash my hands and all that but its stilll so scary.
    I am moving in 3 weeks across the country. My worst nightmare at this point is catching a sv while i'm on the road. Seriously. How long does it take for this crap to get out of the city.. HELP!

Lisa

If you haven't been around anyone who was throwing up or having diarreha while you were with them, it's doutful that you will catch anything.

Just do your best to avoid people you KNOW have been sick themselves and take normal precautions like wash your hands, etc... You should be fine considering you haven't directly had to deal with someone who has been *actively* ill.

I always get sick when I'm moving/ traveling because of the stress and how it screws up my immune system. I usually get a bad cold and lose my voice
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

where in canada are you? im in burlington ontario

Carolee - I'm in Fredericton, New Brunswick right now... moving to Calgary in 3 weeks... YIKES! I'm excited though, however the drive through Ontario is going to be brutal. We're staying overnight in Ottawa and then I think we're going to stay again in Wawa. Not a whole lot going on in that part of the province huh?

Thanks for the responses guys.. I'm scared but there really isn't much I can do at this point right? I'm going to try not to think about it or worry about it until I have reason to. Thats the only way I can make this kind of go away..

Lisa

As far as I know there isn't anything going on around here, I have heard a few things here and there but nothing too big wow your driving across country? It could be fun...long though!

This is INSANE. I get into work this morning and 4 people are out sick. I don't know what with, but all I'm thinking is Oh my god they have it too. And then the delivery guy was like "yeah I'm just getting over the stomach flu". I'm like okay then get your ass out of here and stop breathing all over us!!!

A girl on my msn has two green sick smiley's beside her name which reads "sick". Why is everyone sick. Seriously. All I can think of right now is "great, I'm going to be on the road tomorrow, travelling 4 hours north for work and it will hit me then". I am SO afraid of being away from home and being sick. This disgusts me. I am so scared of catching whatever is going around.

Is the stomach flu airborne? I'm really scared right now.

Lisa

How are Noroviruses Transmitted?
    Norwalk and Noroviruses are transmitted primarily by the fecal-oral route. Having direct contact with vomit or feces from an infected person and then transferring the virus to the mouth from the hands primarily spreads the viruses. Secondary person-to-person transmission through sharing food, water, and/or utensils, or contact with the contaminated environment is also possible. Touching a contaminated door knob and/or stair railing and then touching your mouth is a possible method of transmission. In some outbreaks, there is evidence that the virus may be spread by the airborne route. These viruses are very contagious and only a few are needed to cause an illness.
    The disease is transmitted through ingestion of contaminated foods and drinks, or by contact with an infected individual. Shellfish from waters exposed to raw sewage will concentrate virus particles from the water since they are filter feeders. Contaminated water can also introduce the virus to beverages, ice, eggs, fruits, and salad ingredients. Cooked foods may also be contaminated though handling by an infected individual. The virus can also be transmitted through close contact with an infected individual and/or touching contaminated surfaces.

Thats disgusting. Everything about that grosses me out.

So what if this bug thats goign around IS airbourne????? I guess Im just ready to pull my hair out at this point.. i am so afraid. Everywhere I turn someone has the stomach flu. I don't understand. Like.. if you actually have to come in contact with the contaminated surface, ie V or whatever, how does it go around offices? Can someone explain this to me in english? lol... I'm confused and scared I'msorry.. I am sure I'm annoying as hell right now.

Lisa

You are not annoying me. I feel exactly the same way you do. Everywhere I turn someone else is sick. There are two strains of a stomach bug going around the area here. One of my coworkers went home sick with it yesterday after she came in for an hour to share the germs. Thanks a lot. Sometimes I feel like if it would just hit me and get it over with I would feel better instead of worrying and anticipating and stressing about it for days on end......

kim

I hear ya... But on the flipside, I would absolutely go crazy if I caught it. It would stress me out so bad.

I was talking to my friend's mom again yesterday, I made the mistake of calling Lesley to see how she was doing. Her mom was like "ohh this bug hits fast and furious and it could come out both ends" And she just went on and on. She has no idea how I am with flu's so I can't blame her. I was horrified though. The good news is that Les only had d* but her boyfriend had both. Its disgusting. I got into work today and one of the girls that was out yesterday was saying how she couldn't keep anything down, etc. I wanted to cry. I can't get away from it. I feel like its norwalk going around again because it just seems to be so contagious and everyone is catching it. I told my mom last night how nervous I was and she said "well, I haven't heard of anything like that at my work - everyone is just sick with a headcold". So I don't know. Maybe its not as bad as I think, but it just seems to be surrounding me. I'm petrified that its in the air. I have been very careful of washing my hands, etc, as always. But what if I breathe it in? God. This is taking like 5 years off my life.

Lisa

Believe me, I don't want to v* either but I absolutely HATE that lying in wait for hours with the horrid nausea feeling. And I'd definitely rather deal with the other end. They've determined the virus going around here so bad (well, one of them anyway) is norovirus. Everyone I talk to knows at least one person or family that has had it and I have 2 coworkers who've had it, my sister, her hubby, and son, 2 kids at my babysitters........I am a nervous wreck!!!!!!! Everyone I've talked to who's had it says it's "violent" whatever that means. But it doesn't sound good and just stresses me out even more. I always wash my hands before I eat anything, after I touch a doorknob, after I touch pretty much anything. I have purell and other hand sanitizers everywhere. I am neurotic and obsessive about this.

THIS IS HORRID AND SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!