Well, one thing also is that there are different genres of books. Not everything written about emetophobia would need to be a scholarly book with footnotes and so on that would be reviewed by scholars in the mental health field. (Maybe Charlotte's will be this type of book, but that is beside the point I'm making). A personal account like a memoir or autobiography can be a helpful thing to read too. There are all sorts of genres that might make an interesting approach to phobias.

Of course, you could always read the book purple, and write your own review of it, and send that review off to the scholarly journals. That would get the mental health field to take a look at the book. You don't need the scholarly community to stamp a blessing on a book before you take a look at it yourself and form a judgment.

Also, it's really the nature of scholarship that it presents contradictory views and evidence from time to time. Scholars don't agree about things, and that's what fuels their publishing and gets them jobs and so on. From a pragmatic standpoint, disagreement helps earn them their salaries. I'm studying for my Ph.d. in English, and it's all about coming up with your own arguments about things.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleteacher

Quote Originally Posted by japa
And finally purpleteacher, I am going to play devil's advocate here and ask you why do you believe that you might not buy the only book so far professionally published in English about emetophobia? There aren't any others out there yet (I'm sure sage is on the way with something), so why not, especially from someone who as been a member of this website?

I am doubtful about buying a book about emet because I havemany negativeexperiences with other books on mental health related to topics that I deal with just as intimately as I deal with emet. In college, I was fortunate enough to have access to almost every book in circulating print in an area of mental health that I deal with and found very few of the books to be helpful to my senior presentation on the topic. The topic was on self-injurious behavior, which extensive research has been done on all over the world - research is continuing to contradict itself in this area too...

I don't think I will buy the book because of the topic - I would buy it because of the author and a personal connection that way. The topic, I probably wouldn't because there isn't a whole lot out there yet. I would have nothing to compare it with and I am a critical reader in the area of mental health. I would probably wait to read the reviews of the book in a scholarly journal.

I am just reallyparticial and very skeptical about what is published. ANYTHING can get published and I would want to do some research about the book and the author before I would read it for specific information sake.

I am not meaning to step on anyone's toes. I am just being honest.