Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This is my first time on here and i just recently learnt of this horrific phobia. It dictates my life in everyway and I am constantly thinking of V. While i am freaked about myself v*ing, it is more so by the 10 fold of others v*ing. it has peaked this year (I am 17) and now for April vacation I am going to see my sister in Illinois and i am scared out of my mind. I am so afraid of someone throwing up near me or even just on the plane. this trip is two weeks away and I have no idea what i should do. My mum might get Paxil for me but still, what if it doesn;t work? Oh my god please help, I cry as I just think about it.

You will be okay. I have flown many times without having to deal with such things. Get some headphones, a good book and some dramamine. (that stuff knocks me out... i love taking it when i fly!)

Have a great time with your sister! How long of a flight do ya have?
    \"This too shall pass\"

beansidhe07,

First of all welcome!

Let me just begin by saying, I know exactly how you feel! I worry about other people being sick near me and being trapped too. I flew to Europe from Toronto, Canada last July (about 8 hours) and I was a basketcase. And for what? Nothing at all! Everything was fine. No one was sick at all! I did a great job and you can too. Here is some advice my therapist gave me to help me:

1. I am safe, I am not in any danger. Vomit can't hurt me, it's only gross.

2.Chances are slim to none anyone will be sick on this flight.

3. Everyone on the plane knows if they are ill and will go to the bathroom if necessary. No one is in an out of control state.

4. I am not trapped, if I am uncomfortable I can talk to the flight attendants about moving my seat.

5. Checking and monitoring the people around me only serves to increase my anxiety and doesn't change the situation.

Here are some things that I do to make myself feel more comfortable:

1. Bring a CD player, MP3 player or portable DVD player.

2. Bring books or magazines.

3. Get a window seat so you aren't in the middle of the plane looking around.

4. Get a seatnear the wingof the plane AWAY from the bathroom.

5. If necessary take Gravol or an anti-anxiety medication (you'll have to see your doctor for that) to make you more comfortable and to make you sleep.

You can do it, I know you can. In December I went on another flight and I had NO anxiety whatsoever.

Try not to build up the flight too much and not to think about the "what ifs". It's only going to make you more upset. If you find yourself thinking "but, what if..." do something to distract yourself, yell "Stop!" out loud anything!

Good luck!

happyteacher

Edited by: happyteacher

I am deathly afraid of other v-ing on an airplane, especially if I don't know them and I'm in a situation where I'm stuck there. Here are some of the things I do that help me a lot:

*I sit on the isle seat- if someone v-'s next to you, it's easier to exit the situation and you're not trapped in between people or something.

*I always sleep on airplanes, even if it's for a short time. I figure I can't be afraid of something if I'm unaware of what's going on.

*Seabands work really well for me. Our choir group (150 people) went on a trip to Europe, so it was about a 12.5 hour flight, with a lot of turbulance. Nobody in our group v-ed at all or even felt sick because the director bought everyone seabands. There are also a lot of medications you can take to prevent sickness on an airplane.

*Try to boost your immune system now before you leave. Heat healthy foods, take some vitimin c, and take good care of yourself.

Hopefully that helps! I'm sure your trip will be fine. There has only been once in my whole life i've witnessed an "incident" on an airplane, and I was prepared to get up and walk to the bathroom until it was over and all passengers had to go to their seats. I've been riding on airplanes since I was like 3. Have a really good time!!!

I no longer fear vomiting (I was so terrified of others it wasn't funny!)...so now I fly all the time. Everyone I talk to says that no one is sick on planes. I think it's true. People are sick on planes only as much as anywhere else, like in movie theatres or whatever. So it may happen occasionally, but so it does with anywhere in life. Planes are no different.

Getting onto an anti-anxiety med (like Paxil) might be an idea, but it would take about a month for them to take full effect, so that won't help you on your trip. However, you can get a prescription for Ativan or some other sort of tranquilizer. This will keep you REALLY calm for the trip.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You have nothing to worry about. I was just on a plane this past October, and it's no big deal. Once you are in the air, you won't be able to feel anything. Don't worry about people vomitting either. I've read that they rarely do on planes. Anyway, when I was on the plane, I was the one looking around the plane to see how everyone was reacting, and all I saw were people reading, talking to each other, laughing, eating and drinking like it was no big deal. I finally relaxed and actually almost fell asleep. You'll be fine. I promise.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

thanks, princessmel,

that's what I have experienced totally! you said it so well!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I am sure you will be fine. I am curious where in Illinois you are going because I live in Illinois. Everyone has pretty much given the same advice I would give. I usually take a half of a Dramamine before I fly. It makes me sleepy, and I like to sleep on planes, and it prevents motion sickness. I have flown many times and never witnessed anything bad. I am sure you will be fine! Have a great time in Illinois...know that there'll be an emet not too far away thinkin' about ya!

Good luck!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I know this may sound stupid, but it's not b/c I did it. When Iwas at the terminal beforeI got on, I started crying and my hubby was like, are u crying?? I said yeah. It was b/c I was so scared. So, if that happens to you, don't feel stupid. I think it somehow made me feel better. Anyway, once you get on that plane, you know there's no turning back, so tell yourself, let's make the best of this...I will be ok. That's what I did. Mentally talk to yourself. Don't freak out or panic b/c that won't do any good. When you take off and take a look around the plane and see that everyone is fine too, you will feel so much better. I swear and I was so scared. Geez...there were kids screaming and having a good old time as the plane was taking off and I'm sitting here thinking...it can't be that bad, and it wasn't. Believe me...I am the biggest baby in the whole world, but you will be fine. Keep telling yourself that. I will be fine, i will be fine, i will be fine. Talking to yourself mentally like that really works. Also, if you have an MP3 player, bring that and some magazines.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

I've flown on planes probably over 100 times in my life and only ONCE was I ever on a plane where someone got sick. I didn't even SEE it or HEAR it I just knew about it because the flight attendant came over to us and asked if we were using our air sickness bags. I hate flying because I'm sort of claustraphobic anyway and for some reason I can NEVER fall asleep on planes, I just can never get that comfortable. The only plane trip I ever fell asleep on was when I went with my father to London in the 6th grade. We got to fly first class and the seats were big and roomy and went almost all the way back.

I've felt sick on flights before due to turbulance and what not but I've never gotten sick. I used to hate flying because of the fear of someone V*ing but now I'm actually MORE scared of the plane crashing. LoL I probably shouldn't have mentioned that should I? Anyway I wouldn't worry about it, like I said I've been on planes A LOT and only once did I know of someone getting sick. Most likely it won't happen, just like everyone else said.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

thankyou so much for all your help. it is very wonderful to see that there are people who acutally understand me! but i am afraid of little kids being sick too because their stomachs seem to be uneasy alot. but i think its also from watching too much tv with people always throwing up on planes and so, that is engrained in my mind. I am going to chicago (well a subburb of it, i forget the name) and I am flying from Manchester, NH so it will be about three hours im guessing? maybe four, i have no idea, but im gonna listen to my ipod forever lol. im also afraid if there IS an indicent, will I be able to smell it? because that what gets me the most sometimes...

well anyways this has been a tremedous help!