Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I found out yesterday that a coworker of mine was sick with a sv Monday and Tuesday. He was back in the office and fine yesterday and today. I actually am doing okay with it, but my problem comes now with my eating lunch. It's not that I don't want to eat because I am starving myself in fear of getting his sv or anything, it is that I don't want to eat because I am having this bad fear of touching my food and then putting it in my mouth. I could (and have) washed my hands first, but there is something holding me back. This could be a triumph if I can convince myself to go ahead and eat, but I would consider it a pitfall if my phobia gets the best of me again. I am trying to think back to my therapy sessions and how I am supposed to do the things that make me nervous. That way, when what I fear is going to happen doesn't, I won't be so afraid in the future. But I'm just not sure if I can right now. I am proud of myself for being here and not obsessing about catching what he had, but I wish I could get myself to totally carry on like nothing happened. I will keep you updated on which way I end up going with this!

I wish I knew something to say to help you, but the truth is I don't. But I
    am thinking of you and hope you can find it in yourself to do what you
    need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by lgood22573
    I wish I knew something to say to help you, but the truth is I don't. But I
    am thinking of you and hope you can find it in yourself to do what you
    need to do.

Thanks. There probably isn't really anything anyone can say to help me. This is one of those challenges I have to face in order to get over this stupid phobia. I need to convince myself, on my own, that I can do this. I just want to start posting more about things I have accomplished rather than just posting when I need reassurance. I am hoping it will help me get better. Hopefully, I will come back on later and tell you all that I did it! At the moment, I found something to keep me busy, but I can't go home for another 3 1/2 hours and I'm sure I will have to eat before then!

I used to have this problem when I worked in an assisted living facility. I didnt want to touch my food to eat. I just made sure that I washed my hands and purelled them. I am sure you will be fine.

Sometimes I feel liek I gte feelings about things, and that fate i ssteerin gme away from something...I coul dbe wrong, I also think maybe subconciously you might not weant to touch an deat it because you know that it could cause days of worry for you thinking, 'am i going to get sick cause i ate with my hands?' and you want to avoid that feeling! Just my two cents, coul dbe wrong...

Perhaps you could hold your food with something (like a napkin?) and that would help you to be able to eat it since you wouldn't technically be touching it?

You should be very proud of yourself for staying put without panicking since he was sick. That is definitely a triumph.

\"This too shall pass\"