Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: CBT

Hi everyone-

I am so excited as I am taking the first step in overcoming my fear!! I am scheduled to meet with a psychologist specializing in CBT on Monday - less than a week. What should I expect in this first meeting? I'm sure I'm not alone in being a little scared that talking about v* for an hour might make me feel a bit nauseous. Has this happened to anyone? Any advice? Anyone else willing to share their first experience??

Thanks!

Sarah[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

well done .... im also doing the same thing and my first meeting is tomorrow !! im really looking forward to it ....

Sorry to be so negative but I have had 15 sessions of CBT and it hasnt helped at all!!! I'm only allowed a max of 20.

Good luck with it. Perhaps it's just my therapist.

Karen

x
    There is no distance on this earth as far away as yesterday

Yeah, I think that we discussed in a different thread that your therapist is awful, and you need to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pookey30

Sorry to be so negative but I have had 15 sessions of CBT and it hasnt helped at all!!! I'm only allowed a max of 20.

Good luck with it. Perhaps it's just my therapist.

Karen

x

This is what i was going to get..but never did, but im starting a family therapy thing on friday, about my fear, but more about my family situtaion..but i hope it goes well for you [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CBT is the standard treatment for phobia, so it should "work", but perhaps not in 15 sessions. I have found with the two therapists that worked REALLY well for me, that it took about 20 sessions for us to really get to know each other and get started.

Also, some therapists aren't good. Don't give up on either a method or therapy itself if you've had a bad experience. It would be like never going to another movie if you saw a bad one!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

hi,

i am currently having CBT. i have been going since january. it has been really useful. i was refered there by my GP, so it is all on the NHS. i go to see my therapist every friday and we talk through various things. we look at things like where the phobia came from and how to deal with living with it.

i had my first session yesterday and found it rather amazing .....

we talked aboiuyt how and why your body does certain things etc ...

and its not the actually v* that frightens me .... if i can change my thoughts and feelings on what bothers me automaticly my reaction will change givent the situation ..[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

my therapist said there can be three types of emet, these are:
    1. <LI>fear of yourself being sick</LI>
      <LI>others being sick</LI>
      <LI>having a contition that makes you feel sick all the time</LI>

you can suffer from all of these or just one of these. personally i suffer from all three, becuase i have IBS.

i am not too sure how reliable thins theroy is, but i can see where she is coming from.