Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just found out that I'm going to America in a few months which should be ok but it does involve a 9 hour flight. I was just wondering if anyone had tips aout how to make the time go quicker and what to do if someone v*s, or to prevent me v*ing? I have biiig plane issues. Help!

Hey hun,

First have a brilliant time,everything aside remember your going to a lovely place for a while and as much as I dont like flying either,im jealouse *LoL*

Have you looked into anti-emetics Phenegran which helps to make you sleepy and less n* and prevents to a large extent you from v* so maybe sleep most of the flight would be good.

Or as I know I find it hard to eat on flights not a nice thing,I such on hard boiled sweets keep my sugar levels up and my ears unblocked.

Taking music with you,alot of things in your hand luggage that is able to distract you from your hours of flight.

Remeber you could probably sit on the net for 9 hours lol,I know I could so finding something you enjoy doing and is comfortable for you on the plane.

Taking hand sanitizer and wet wipes everywhere I know helps me for the hygeine aspect of things.

Maybe getting up once or twice in the flight as well to stretch your legs and keep you awake if thats what you wish hun.

Maybe going to your docs and explaining that you re going on a long flight and see what he could perscribe you for this.

All in all hun have an amazing time xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I always take Ativan (anti-anxiety) when I fly. I too, have plane issues, and I
    fly by myself, often times overseas, quite a bit. I always take Dramamine. I
    also take Airborne every 3 hours when I'm in the airport/plane.

As far as someone around you getting sick... there's nothing you can do
    about that. But... I've been on over 100 flights, and I've never experienced
    that, so... I wouldn't worry too much about it. And, you might end up with
    no one next to you, or even a whole row to yourself....

When people are done boarding, look around and see if there are any empty
    spaces. You can move to them if there are. I was once in a packed row, and
    moved to a row with no one in it and had a cozy ride...

I wouldn't worry all that much about others being sick- airtravel is the mode of transportation LEAST likely to make someone ill. The best way to avoid thinking about it, or looking at random people and going "omg, that person *looks* sick" is to keep occupied- listen to your favourite music, watch the inflight movies, etc. Don't even let your mind go there. As for making the time go by faster....nothing you can really do about that, lol. If you're busy you will be less aware of time passing- of course, you can also try sleeping. Before I have a long flight I always sleep less the night before so I'll be drowsy enough to drift off.

IF you don't get sick in a car, bus, or train - the odds of airtravel making you ill is very slim. If you are overly worried, pick up an over-the-counter motionsickness remedy to have onhand, just in case. I use bonamine myself (because I DO get motionsick, no matter what the mode of transportation), but there are a few others that will probably be effective. You can also buy ginger capsules, which are natural, and won't have the side effects of chemical remedies. I can definitely attest to the fact that they work to alleviate nausea- I use them often while travelling.

One last thing- plane food can be iffy. I know that sometimes it's a pleasant surprise, and other times it looks and smells revolting. Bring some snacks with you just in case- you don't want to feel nauseous because you're hungry!

and have a GREAT TIME! Where in the states are you headed?

*amber*

Thanks for the ideas guys. Violet I love your avatar by the way! I think sleeping on the flight would be ideal but I have big trouble getting to sleep not in a bed so I will most likely stay up all night before we go. I will thankfully have my laptop (whose name is Neville) there to protect me so I can watch dvds and listen to music, I don't know if I'll have the net or not but if I do I will definitely be on here bugging you guys. Hehe.

I'm not sure about taking meds because I try to avoid it, and motion sickness is not a big problem for me generally. Amber you're definitely right about not looking at people to see if they look pale, which I do but I really shouldn't, and I won't even be attempting the plane food, I'm packing sandwiches. I'mgoing to Florida by the way, doing the Disney thing, should be cool.

You can't get internet on airplanes. And make sure you have a power
    adapter and get into a seat with a power supply. The supply on planes don't
    use regular plugs... they use like cigarette lighters....

Sorry i can't help you. I would like to know how big your suitcase is as i would like to get in it.

It is my dream to go to America it's not the money it's my Emet that stops me. Please let me know how you get on asi am so interested.

Carol

Hey Hannah, when I have to fly somewhere, I always take something to calm my stomach. I don't know if it's anxiety because I've never had a problem with motion sickness before, but my stomach always seems to start doing flip flops. Plus it makes me sleepy. Music is huge for me, it keeps my mind focused on it instead of the plane and the people. Books are good to bring to. You are going to love Florida, it is beautiful!!!

Hi Hannah,

whenever I fly I take a diazepam (valium) for three days prior to flying so that its in my system, Im then really relaxed and not much bothers me at all. I also make sure I have music and a good book to while away the time.

I should point out that although I have a small supply of diazepam in my bag throughout the year this is generally the only time I take them.

Most of all Im jealous as Im not sure whether I will go away this year.

Start looking forward to it, you'll have a fab time!!!

Laney xx

1) Music. Bring good music or something to read. Distract yourself for when you are awake.
    2) Bring some of your favorite safe snacks. They are comforting and you won't have to worry about getting hungry.
    3) Take a dramamine or something mild, that you can remain alert with if you are traveling alone. I take a dramamine to be safe because I can function with it and it helps me not worry about getting sick either.

I would NOT recommend staying up the night before your flight. That isn't being nice to your body at all! Go through your normal routine and don't over stress your body like that. I have stayed up all night long before a flight and it wasn't the best idea because I was exhausted, unalert, and very nervous. The rest of my flights I have just tried my best to keep my routine the same before hand and just rest my stomach some the day before the flight.

Where are you traveling in the US?

I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

I am so jealous of you! I want to go to Florida and go to Disney World sooooo bad! I am a huge Disney freak and it's been 4 years since I was there (not that long, I know, but for me it seems like an eternity!) It would be pointless to go now since I am pregnant and can't go on any rides, but I am already planning a trip to go there next summer. I can't wait!

I'm sure your trip will be fine. I agree with the advice averyone else has given. The one expereince I had on a plane with someone v*, I just turned up my headphones, and couldn't hear or see anything so I got through it all ok. I'm sure you can buy over the counter motion sickness medication if you are worried about yourself v*ing. The plus side of that is it will probably make you drowsy, then you will sleep and the plane trip will go by faster. Oh, and I always take a bottle of Sprite with me to calm my stomach.

Have a great time! Let us all know how it went!