Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just took a new job and I start in August. I am freaked out. I have a huge fear of v* in front of people, so I usually try to eat when no one is around. But, I feel like I need to eat in front of people because if I don't, they will think I have an eating disorder or something. What makes it all the worse is that I am skinny. I have always been skinny (maybe b/c of my fear...I don't know???). I don't have an eating disorder, nor do I plan on having one. I am underweight, but I am very healthy.I lift weights, cycle, and golf. I want to gain weight, but I am always afraid I will v* and die if I eat too much. I think aboutmy fear on adaily basis. Does anyone have any advice?

don't worry - if anyone makes fun of you then they aren't a nice person. if they get on you because you're skinny then they are either jealous or worried about you. you just concentrate on your job, & if you can't eat around people, then eat where you feel comfortable, okay?

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    eace is the way::

Hi there, first congrats on the job, I hope it is something you enjoy doing. One thing that I have figured out is that people won't pay attention to you. I always worry about what other people think of me and feel like people are always staring. The truth of it is that people will probably never recognize if you are eating with them or not. Just do what YOU need to do to feel comfortable. Eating disorder will probably never cross their mind. I have a friend who is extremely thin, but I never even thought that she might have an eating disorder, which she doesn't of course.

About gaining weight. Honey, you won't die if you v*, I know it seems that way, but you won't. You shouldn't overeat, but do eat enough to sustain yourself and put on a little bit of weight. Don't gorge yourself and you won't feel overly full and bloated. Being healthy isn't just about exercise, you have to have the diet that goes along with all of that exercise or you will for sure lose weight. Eat fruits and veggies, pastas, breadsand some meat. I LOVE fresh fruit... oh so good.

Whoa... I'm preaching now... anyway, don't worry about what other people think of you. You have to take care of yourself first, and if that means eating alone, then so be it.

If you have to go out to eat with your new coworkers, just make sure you order something "safe". Or do as I always do - I bring my lunch and when they all go out to eat, I stay in the office by myself and eat my lunch. People just think I am cost-conscience and health-conscience.

Thanks alot, guys. All of your comments help. I'm glad I'm not the only one our there that has this fear. I love this forum. I hope I will be able to help someone out there who suffers from this.

Keep on keepin' on!