Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Rotavirus

I thought springtime meant that these nasty bugs were going to calm down. My wife teaches third grade here in Virginia and just this week she has had three children out with the Rotavirus, and apparently its a nasty strain from what the parents are telling her. Ever since hearing of this I have been a mess - I am just super paranoid that she is going to get it, then I will get it, etc...ugh..when will they come with a vaccination for these atrocities?????

i feel your pain honey...Im wondering when the hell this crap is gonna be over with! My aunt was sick 2 Fridays ago...really dizzy....coming out both ends....and was sick for 3-4 days and her neighbor below her, was sick for a week! So I too, am still really really paranoid! There are kids in my daughters class that have been out for a week too! But I think she is safe from that, she was sick the beginning of April for 5 days....thank god only one day of v* though. I hope once June comes, we might be done!!!

I hope so as well! Its my birthday Friday and I just keep having these horrible visions of either my wife or me being sick for my birthday which would just be horrible!!! the rotavirus is not airborne is it?

Rotavirus, from what I hear, is usually only spread through the bodily
    fluids. (yuck). I also heard that is usually a virus that little kids get, but
    the older people are more immune to it. Plus, if your wife has been a
    teacher for a while, she is probably immune to it after being exposed to it
    at other times in her career. That is just what I've heard....and I'm a
    teacher, too!

Try not to worry............I know that is much easier said than done, but I
    have a feeling that you will both be just fine!!!!
    Julie

Well happy early bday Raso!!!! I'm the same way as you...freaking out when there is a holiday, bday or a special day coming up. I hate being like this...but I just can't seem to help it, something just takes over in my brain. I think you will be fine! So have a great birthday!!

Kim

I do the exact same thing..if there is ever something fun approaching, I worry so much that somebody is going to be ill and ruin it. its so funny how alike we all are.

I agree...like when my kids have bday parties...I freak out that someone might be sick at my house, or end up getting my kids sick. I get so stressed out...which I try not too...and then nothing ever happens! KNOCK ON WOOD! How old are you gonna be on this bday?

I'm going to be 31..last year was the big one no big plans really, out to dinner with the family, etc..

I just dont want anyone to be ill!!!

I know how you feel!! I am 31 too...will be 32 yet this yearr. You will be fine...don't worry. Does your wife get sick often being a teacher?

Honestly (knocking on wood) she doesnt. I mean,she will pick up a cold every once in a long while, but other than that no. and she has been teaching for around 6 years. I think its true that the first couple years teaching is rough, until your immune system gets used to it. but then its pretty smooth sailing.

how was it being 31?

I suppose...I do see that with my kids...the older they get, the less sick they get KNOCK ON WOOD! 31 to me, is no different than being 30. It just sucks knowing that I am getting older! What are your plans for your bday?

can someone explain rotavirus to me? honestly, i live in the US too but i'd never really heard of it til i got on here. norwalk, yes, because of the cruise ships. but rotavirus, no.

it certainly sounds creepy, although anything ending in "virus" pretty much sets me off...

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    eace is the way::

Not sure what the difference is between rotavirus & norovirus, but I'm sure that a rotavirus vaccine has been developed. But it's aimed at kids, as most adults have rotavirus immunity. Haven't heard anything about a norovirus vaccine, unfortunately.

From what I understand, because my nephew had it about 2 months ago, is that is the most common d* virus that kids get and most often affects kids under the age of 4 (i think!!) most severly.And rarely, are adults affected by it. I looked it up when my sis told me that's what my nephew had. I was real relieved to find that out.

Rotovirus is a childhood illness that adults can sometimes get. It's main characteristic is d* but some kids do v* with it. When my son had it when he was 2, he only v* once but had diarrhea for a week. He was very sick and lost a lot of weight. I've heard from some sources that you only can get true rotovirus once in your life, but others say no.

Between my oldest and my middle child, they were offering a rotovirus vaccine. When they came out with it, my son was too old to get it and my daughter too young. They recalled it after only a few months because some children actually died from the vaccine--it caused bowel problems like a telescoping intestine (if memory serves).
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

wheee!

well i can handle d* no prob. it's the v* that spooks.

~ bethany

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I read in the NY Times that where the rotavirus vaccine is most needed is in developing countries such as those in Africa because rotavirus kills astronomical numbers there -- mainly because of poverty and poor nutrition and lack of potable water to treat the dehydration of the kids that get it.

Yes, according to Alvin rotovirus is something children get, not adults. If you ever had a virus as a kid then you're immune, so don't worry.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    Yes, according to Alvin rotovirus is something children get, not adults. If you ever had a virus as a kid then you're immune, so don't worry.

Really...I didn't know that was something that you were immune to if you had it once...that's kinda cool! Too bad all sv* aren't that way! I think we would all be in 7th heaven! One question...how do you know if you have ever had roto?

i don't know...all i know is my mom said i spiked a lot of really high fevers when i was a kid.

~ bethany

All of this is true, although, I do have a friend, a fellow teacher of my wife's who had the rotavirus about a week and a half ago...it put her down for almost 5 days. I didnt really ask her the details like it the V* lasted that long - she just said it was really bad. She does teach first grade so she would be a prime target and maybe she never had it as a child or something..shes 32 now I think.

all I know is that I dont want any parts of it!!!!!

I guess my only question is: did she go to a proper lab and have herself tested for the type of virus? (with a stool sample)? Cuz if she did, and it's roto...you don't need to worry about getting it. You're probably immune. Otherwise, it could be a regular ol' norovirus. But the odds of your wife catching it from her are nil now...so you still don't need to worry.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Its funny, I didnt want to sound like a butt head but I asked her the same thing..she said she went to the doctor and he told her what she had was a rotavirus, and I asked if he took a stool sample she just gave me a mean look.