Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have had three sessions with a therapist who has no prior experience with emet. I gave her the handout Sage wrote, and told her what was going on-emet is not the only thing that is troubling me. Anyway, I think she may be a bit uncomfortable with the subject of emet. We have done a lot of talking about my childhood and family life, mainly about how growing up, I felt really unsafe and out of control. I think this is good, but I don't know if this is the right person for me to see. At what point will I know? I don't want to waste too much time if it isn't going to be a good working relationship. I like her, and think she is a good therapist, but just not sure if she can handle the emet part. I'm really embarassed to talk to her about it. I don't know if it is all in my head, or if she is really uncomfortable with emet. Help!

Here wouldbe the question that I would ask you: "What specifically has she said or done that has you thinking that she is not comfortable with emet.?"

Secondly, you really need to tell her point blank at the next session that you believe that she is uncomfortable with treating emetophobia. Whenever you have a concern or question about a therapist, you say it. You have to be honest and say what you are thinking and feeling or therapy doesn't stand a chance of being successful.

And there is never any need to play guessing games about what a therapist is thinking or feeling about things. You just ask him or her.

And now I will say that the chances are pretty high that you are projecting on to her a discomfort with emet that she doesn't even have. I know this because I have projected various feelings on to my therapist that she never had, and the only way I found out was by telling her about the feelings and thoughts I was having.

If you don't have a very compelling answer to the first question that I wrote here, about what has she done to make you think that she can't handle emet, then you are probably just not comfortable yourself in whatever way, and you are making it about her. Again, I have done this, so I am not trying to blame or anything.

Tell her, tell her, tell her about what you are thinking.

In many types of therapy, the childhood questions are standard. Getting to know your background helps them to understand you better.

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks Japa. I very well may be projecting. I will ask her at our next session, because it's true, if she is uncomfortable with it, I should see someone else.
    I don't have a solid reason for thinking she is uncomfortable, so maybe it is just me that feels that way. I don't like to talk about it at all, except online with other emets. Thanks for the advise.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi Daff,

I agree with Japa 100%! Excellent advice, Jap.

Tell her tell her tell her. Three most important things - lol. I know you feel embarassed, but there's no need to. That's what therapists are there for! Maybe ease into the question by starting the next session by asking what she thinks the course of your treatment should be. How will she approach the emet problem? That kind of thing.

Taking background info and just talking about general issues is imperative in good therapy. I have emet clients who have been seeing me over 6 months, and we haven't yet done anything specific about emet treatment (yet their anxiety is getting better! Go figure!)

Good luck.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, I'm glad I could offer an answer. All of my therapy's gotta be good for something lol.