Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Help me~!

Hello everyone! I'm very new to this forum and I have a question I'd like to ask regarding Emet.

I'm not sure if Emet is really my problem so I'll begin by explaining how I feel.

My name is Bel, I'm not hugely overweight but I'm still a big girl, all my life I've had problems eating food that didn't smell good or didn't look good. I'm not sure what it is but when I even try to put it into my mouth I instantly feel sick and heave and then proceed to desperately swallow it. I can't even try a tiny bit of it. I'm seventeen now, and nothing has changed! I'm still too frightened to eat most foods, such asLasagne, gravy, baked beans, all pies, Macroni and any kind of fish. There are a lot more on my list and unfortunately the food I DO like is stuff like Pizza and salami, spicy foods, spare ribs, chips. All fatty stuff.

Yes, I'm also neurotic about throwing up. I haven't been sick for a good five years or more but if somebody mentions not feeling well or I'm watching television and somebody on it doesn't feel well or says they feel sick I instantly feel the same. In fact, I've got a sickly taste in my mouth just from thinking about it.

I'm not really sure what my problem is, but its driving my parents crazy!

Hope you can help me~

~Belinda

Hi Bel, welcome to the group! It does sound like emetophobia to me. We all differ to the extent to which this phobia effects us and how it effects our daily lives. Some people here fear themselves vomiting, others fear only others whilst there are those of us that fear both.There are quite a fewmembers here that have issues with food and not eating properly, and some will only eat certain things they consider their 'safe' foods.

Have you talked to your doctor about how you feel? I think therapy or talking to a counsellor would help and your GP can refer you to somebody.

You will get lots of support here - there's a fab bunch of people in this group [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by tcsarah

Hi Bel, welcome to the group! It does sound like emetophobia to me. We all differ to the extent to which this phobia effects us and how it effects our daily lives. Some people here fear themselves vomiting, others fear only others whilst there are those of us that fear both.There are quite a fewmembers here that have issues with food and not eating properly, and some will only eat certain things they consider their 'safe' foods.

Have you talked to your doctor about how you feel? I think therapy or talking to a counsellor would help and your GP can refer you to somebody.

You will get lots of support here - there's a fab bunch of people in this group [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Thank you so much for the advice and the warm welcome. I might just do that!