Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: MOVING OUT!

Ok, I really need some guidance here.

I'm graduating high school this month, and I am 17 years old. I found this BEAUTIFUL flat that I can afford, is close to my work, and is just the right size for me.
    I can cook and clean (although my aunt and uncle won't believe it, haha, my room is a bit of a mess sometimes) enough to get me by, and I have a budget made out so that I can also save for school next year (taking a year off). In fact, I already have over 2k saved for my first year of school so far.

ANYWAY.
    My problem is this...

I'm only 17. I feel responsible and ready enough to be on my own (I don't drink, smoke, do any drugs, I don't have perscriptions and I don't party either...), I've been taking care of myself for five years now. Feeding myself, buying my own clothes, etc.
    I don't know how to bring this up to my aunt and uncle! I know they're going to think that I'm not ready for this, and I don't want them to think that I'm ditching them (I've lived here for 1.5 years). Plus, they're my legal guardians.. if they say no, can they stop me until I turn 18?

I don't know what to do, and if I could get some advice from other moms who may be facing this sometime in their lives I would appreciate it. THANKS!!

ps:
    here is the addy to the apartment I'm looking into:

http://www.444rent.com/details.asp?U...%2D4&Build ingID=MH&Address=1267+Hollis+St%2C+Apt+4

Edited by: phobos

I don't know the legalities of the situation, but I would just suggest telling them what you said in your post. That you feel you are ready, you are responsible, you have money saved, and you have a plan. Having a plan is important. Tell them you appreciate all that they have done for you, and that you just feel it is time to be out and on your own. Hopefully they will understand. Good luck!

i think technically they can stop you until you turn 18 and are considered an adult and capable of making your own decisions, but maybe if you have a strong enough argument as to why you think you're ready to move out, they won't object! i think it's very responsible of you to have a job and the maturity to want to live on your own; i'm 18 and i go away to college but i still want my parents sometimes! maybe if you ease into it and tell them you're considering moving and see what they say first, it can become a discussion between the three of you rather than them just saying yes or no. it's hard for a family to watch their children move out and grow up, but you sound ready to me! let me know how it goes!!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

im 18 and my mum still wont let me move out. i know she cant stop me,but i would like her approval before doing it. i dont know how you feel about your aunt and uncle saying i dont agree with it but you can do it if you like.

Im going to be moving out in about a years time. I feel very under-prepeared but I think its something you just have to do. It will take some getting used to - but I think it will be a great experiance. You will probably gain alot of confidence from living alone. And dont think becase you are moving out you will be 'alone' you can stil have loads of people around you

Hey Phobos-

First off, in Canada I'm not sure they have the right to stop you from moving out until age 18, even if they are your legal guardians. The laws differ between here and the states, and I would look into it just in case. For some reason I think it is 16....

You sound very responsible for your age- and I would show them all that you have done to prepare for you living on your own (budget, saved money, etc.). No matter what they may say in response, keep your cool, and counter it with calm, logical answers. You don't want to burn any bridges because there may be times in the future when you will need them- in fact, since you are so young your future landlord may require them to co-sign your lease (I'm 24 and it happened the last time I moved because I was a "student").

You may also want to let them know that there are many canadians who move out of their parents home at 16 and 17 to go to University, so it's not like you are doing something abberrent. In the first year classes I have TA'd there have been a few 16 and 17 year olds who live away from their parents (with mixed results, lol).

Finally, make SURE that you thank them for what they have done for you in the past year and a half- make sure they know you are appreciative and want to retain a positive relationship.

GOODLUCK!!!!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.