I was at the Humane Society today walking dogs (I do that usually once a week or so for a few hours). Usually I feel a lot better when i do that because I see that the dogs are for the most part healthy and happy and that there are always a lot of people out there giving them attention. Today was a different story though.

There is a volunteer room that has leashes and treats and lists dogs that have not been walked that day (for the volunteers so they know who to walk). The board also has special notes about any particular dog. Today there were like 5 HUGE postings about dogs that are extremely stressed and need extra attention. There was even something about how they had to euthanize one of the dogs because it was so sick and upset from being there (don't even get me started on that one, I've already railed a complaint to the manager).

Anyway, I was upset to see that already, I have never seen so many postings about upset dogs. So, I walked all 5 dogs on the list, and most of them seemed ok and very happy when I got them out of their kennels to play for a bit. However, when I got to the last dog on my list, named Dude, his kennel was full of poop and he was jumping aorund in it and it smelled awful. The staff is usually excellent about spraying out the kennels - in fact thtta is the first time I've seen that. Anyway, I took Dude out and he was SO excited and happy. But then he seemed to keep pooping like every 5 minutes and had bad diarrhea. I kept him out for almost 30 minutes loving him and walking him. When I was getting ready to take him back to his kennel, I noticed his mouth was bleeding bad, so I took him to the fromt desk and they took him to the clinic to get checked out.

I don't know if he bit his tongue or what but I was so sad and worried about him. I've called and emailed and asked them to please let meknow if he is ok, because if he is in bad shape I am going to go back and adopt him or at least ask if I can foster him. Ugh, my heart hurts. Why do people take theiur dogs to the pound? It makes me so upset that a dog who had a home for several years would just be abandoned there, having no idea why his owner left him.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]