Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I thought I was being brave and rational, now I'm a little nervous. Our power went out for about an hour last night, and I'm worried about the food in the fridge. If anyone asked me, I would say it's perfectly fine, but I need some reassurance. I had an egg this morning for breakfast, and feel fine, but am a little paranoid. Is there any way this can make me sick?

I think that you will be just fine....the fridge stays cold as long as you don't go opening the door over and over again. You are fine, i promise....just try not to think about it. The food can't go bad that quick, when it's already at the right temp....i am sure you will be just fine!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hey Daffodil,

You have absolutely nothing to worry about regarding the egg - in fact, they say on the carton that eggs are 'best served at room temperature' (well on UK eggs it does!)Eggs stay fresh LONGER if stored in the fridge, but don't go off if left out for a few hours in average temps. If it didn't smell funny while cooking, its highly likely it was absolutely fine!!

There is a test you can do to tell whether eggs are 'off' or not - you float them in water, if they float to the top they are rotten, if they sink to the bottom they are fine. I think its that way around.. maybe get a 2nd opinion on that one!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

You are fine! The power can stay out for up to four hours before anything in your fridge/freezer might start to warm up. My power was recently out for five hours, and I kept almost everything, and it was fine.

Thank You! I know rationally that it is fine, but the emet in me keeps obsessing. I appreciate the replies![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi Daffodil, it will be fine. After hurricane Katrina we were without power for four days and ran our fridge off a generator some. It went forseveral hourswithout power during breaks from the generator and everything was fine. Talk about an emets worst nightmare! No power, water or sewer for 4 days! AAAHHHHH! But I survived.

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil
    I thought I was being brave and rational, now I'm a little nervous. Our power went out for about an hour last night, and I'm worried about the food in the fridge. If anyone asked me, I would say it's perfectly fine, but I need some reassurance. I had an egg this morning for breakfast, and feel fine, but am a little paranoid. Is there any way this can make me sick?
    As long you kept didn't open and close the fridge door 100 times when the power was out, things should be fine!

Being from the hurricane capitals of Florida and Texas (well, Houston at least), I have to know these things about power outages and food freshness. So I second what halfoverthefur said about how long the power can be out for the food to be fine. And for the freezer, it's 8 hours.