Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: ot: depression

does anybody here suffer from depression? i feel like lately i might be and it scares me to death because i'm only 18. i broke up with my boyfriend of three years not long ago, but i think i'm over it so i can't see being depressed about that. i'm having a lot of issues with my friends, which is tearing me up inside because i have had a same group of friends since i was 12, and i just feel like they're isolating me, never calling or inviting me anywhere, and i've tried talking to them about it a million times and it gets me no where. i literally never leave my house because i have nothing to do. i've never done anything to hurt any of them so there isn't even a reason for them ditching me, they've even said so themselves. i'm still enjoying things, and laughing and i'm still motivated to go to work and do other things i know i need to do, i just feel so down about life. am i too young for medication? my parents don't want me to take anything, they think this is just a phase and i'll grow out of it when things get better with my friends, but i just don't see things getting better anytime soon. this has been going on for 7 months now and it only seems to be getting worse. any alternative solutions to depression? any advice will help, i'm hurting right now [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

hi hun, im 15 and suffer from depression. i know exactly how you
    feel. it scared me at first, but now im okay with it. i take medicine,
    and it helps. PM me if you wanna talk. im here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I went through a period like you are describing and although things were bad, I never thought of medication to fix them. I was in college at the time and my friends that I had grown very close to were all breaking away from me. I couldn't understand, I kept thinking it must have been something I had done. I was depressed for over a year. I felt alone, I was a recluse, I never left my dorm room except for classes and meals. I never left campus. Then, one day, it hit me. I hadn't done ANYTHING to make them treat me like that, so why was I allowing them to make me feel like this. I decided then not to be in the depression anymore. It took several weeks, but I gradually started living life again. I've been out of college over 10 years now, OMG, i'm old, lol, and recently one of my "friends" emailed me out of the blue. We caught up on stuff and I finally asked her why she "ditched" me in school. She basically explained that she was scared of graduating and entering the real world and basically, she was suffering from seperation anxiety issues, leaving all her friends and school ending, was just to much for her.

If you feel that medication will help, I encourage you to see your doctor. However, you might want to try helping yourself first, to see if it makes a difference. If it's a nice day outside, go for a walk, don't sit in the house. Walking helped me alot because it got my head clear.

I hope you feel better soon.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Hi blondie... sorry you have been feeling down lately. I was only about 13 when I first started with depression. I have been on anti-depressants since '98, sometimes they help, sometimes they don't.

The thing you need to realize is that there are two types of depression, there is situational depression, then there is general depression. Situational depression is just what it says, it has to do with certain circumstances, you are depressed about something in particular. When the situation is resolved, the depression goes away. General depression has no rhyme or reason to it. There is nothing that you should really be depressed about, but you still are. This is the scary depression because you never know when or if it will get better, and it is hard to get out of.

So I guess you need to decide exactly what you are depressed about, if anything. You need to talk to your doc and tell him/her that you are feeling this way and see if you should be on meds. Just be sure to explore all of your options before you go the medication route because some meds are habit forming and have side effects.

Hope that helps.
    Tiffanator

thank you so much for your replies :-) it means so much that i can come here and vent and know i'll get help and kind words from you all! i don't want to let my friends ruin my life. i am just sooooo lonely and i've never experienced anything like it! and it makes me feel like a bad person because what kind of friends would just altogether drop somebody who's never done anything wrong? i don't know how much nicer or more sincere i can be. and at this point, i shouldn't even want to be friends with them anymore after making me feel this way, but i want nothing more than for things to go back to normal between us. i hate this soo much. i cannot wait until i'm back at college in the fall!!!! my friends there are completely drama-free, we have so much fun and i know they love me! i'm so looking forward to that and it's the only thing making me happy. i'm still considering seeing a doctor. my parents are standing behind me 100%, even though they don't want to see me go on medication, they'll support it, so that makes things easier too. thanks again :-)
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

It sounds to me like the situation with your (should be) ex friends is what is causing you to feel down. I doubt medication would be the answer, because that situation would still be there- and it's not like medication would solve the problem of loneliness. The only way to REALLY make this feeling go away, is for you to take the initiative and get out there and do things.

I felt the same way 2 years ago when I finished undergrad, most of my friends moved away, and I moved into a bachelor apartment on my own. After about a month of feeling sorry for myself, I started to volunteer on campus, make connections with some peopleI had only considered acquaintances, etc.

If you just stay in and feel bad about the situation, it's not going to get better! There is still a lot of time before school starts again- why not get involved in something?

*amber*

tiffanator- i am most definitely suffering from situational depression. i'm the happiest girl in the world when i'm with my friends and i feel included, when i'm not i'm a mess...

iwas thinking of getting involved in something, but i couldn't think of anything. lol... i teach summer dance classes but the girls are like, 6, and if i start hanging out with 6 year olds then there is most definitely a problem!! hehe. i just don't know what to do with myself. i've never had this happen because i've always had my boyfriend to turn to when my friends were being crappy, and nowi don't have him either. and as ridiculous as it sounds, there is literally not one other person that i can think of calling to hang out. everybody has their 'set groups' and my calling someone who i'm friendly with but never hang out with will make me feel like such an outsider. i'm almost 19, this drama has to end soon right?! it's worse than it was in high school and i didn't think anything could top high school drama

Hi blondie... I have a very similar problem to you. For a long time I had no friends... none at all.When I was down and needed to talk to someone... there was no one, it is very depressing, but it won't last forever. I was lucky that through wakeboarding I met a guy, and through him I met a few other people, now I have friends again!

So, don't give up hope, try to get involved in something, maybe a class an aerobics class, or some type of community volunteer. There are lots of really nice people out there looking for friends, you shouldn't have to put up with people who make you feel bad.
    Tiffanator

thank you tiffanator! i guess it's silly to feel like i'm the only person in the world with 'no friends'. and i know if i give it time, things will just fix themselves with my friends. it has been this way for years. somebody is always left out no matter how old we are. i just don't think i want to or should sit around and wait for that time to come for somebody else to be left out for no reason whatsoever. i'm still hopeful and optimistic despite being depressed about the whole situation, so i guess that's a good sign. deep down i know this won't last forever, it's just hard to cope with now..

thanks again everyone!