Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New person here with Emetophobia(mildly graphic)

Hello everybody!

I've had Emetophobia since a horrible experience with a stomach bug when I was in the 5th grade. I remember being scared to vomit when feeling sick starting around the 1st grade around the same time my mother got remarried to my jerk step father. Before that I had no fear from what I remember. The 5th grade incident is when the emetophobia cronically started to intruded my thoughts.
    I am now 34 and still suffering from Emetophobia. I still miss out on a lot of things like alcohol, parties, family dinners, traveling and eating out anywhere (during the winter time). I hate the winter months (NOV-APRIL)!!! My emetophobia greatly decreases when it gets warmer out.

Even though it would be best to get cured of this phobia I have increased my quality of life somewhat by becoming educated on what can actually cause nausea/vomiting. I 'm scared of having nausea and vomiting myself but not others unless it's contagious. I'm basically terrified of contagious vomit/stools.
    Other body fluids from people due to drinking too much, drug side effects, food poisioning or other non contagious vomiting... I don't fear.

The biggest problem seems to be norovirus like many others here. I can controll to an extent other ways of getting stomach issues like motion sickness or food poisoning, but with norovirus you can get it from swallowing airborn particles and nobody knows how long it survives on surfaces. So if I hear someone had vomited somewhere due to a suspected stomach virus I basically wont go to their house or where ever it happened for a few weeks. Learning that you can't get noro from saliva or being near someone that has it, and it can be washed off you're hands has made a big difference for me.
    Everbody seems so "dirty to me when they stick their hands in their mouth, bite nails, eat and cook without washing hands !!!
    I believe besides getting over this phobia some how a norovirus vaccine would lower my anxiety x's 1000 and I would have a much better quality of life! Until then I can continue my 100's of crazy rituals and keep my antiemetics/resperators handy for emergencies.

Thank's for reading

Default Re: New person here with Emetophobia(mildly graphic)

Hello, welcome to the site You'll find lots of us here with the same worries as you that you can talk things over with!

Default Re: New person here with Emetophobia(mildly graphic)

Welcome,
    First of all, your rituals are completely normal for a emetophobe and are TOTALLY NOT crazy, and secondly, PM me if you need to talk !!
    Hope you find some help and comfort on the forum,

~Lacey xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Talking Re: New person here with Emetophobia(mildly graphic)

I am almost exactly like you about all of those things except eating out. I just try to eat at the larger chain restaurants during those months when I worry more about it. It is easier said than done but we have to live life. The truth is that we (emetophobics) really don't get sick as often as others. Although, it can still happen at any time, I think it is more the control issue. I think if someone told me that I was going to be sick at a specific time and date, I could make it through and move on. Unfortunately, we can't predict these things. We can only protect ourselves. I have spent a ton of time fretting over travel and winter months. I have more anxiety during these months.
    I have traveled to Thailand, China, Italy, Germany, Ireland and more all while being an emetophobic. I even ate in all of those countries. My doctor gives me a very low dose of Xanax that I take a half of when needed. I really just try to power through the episodes. Some days are worse than others but I am confident that each day, things will get better. Looking back I am thankful that I have made it through these events in my life. I have had a non functioning gallbladder removed ( which usually makes people extremely ill) and had 2 children. Don't let it get you down. Fight against the anxiety, YOU are bigger than the anxiety. If you believe in God, pray! God does not want us to be anxious.
    I still have issues but I am forcing myself to do things that I once would not.
    I hope that you find hope here. There are so many amazing people on here that have found ways to overcome. Look at the positive posts only!!