Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anxiety/panic attack habits

Does anyone else have bad habits when you go through emet anxiety? Currently, I feel nauseous (it might be all in my head like usual) but when I get this feeling I usually pinch the back of my neck or wrists or pull the hair out at the back of my neck. I know its not a good habit but for some reason it calms me. Does anyone else do any strange habits like this? Or know why I'm obsessed with the back of my neck?

Default Re: Anxiety/panic attack habits

It's a form of distraction and very common. By causing yourself physical pain, you're distracting yourself from the emotional pain and as with any kind of distraction, if you can get your brain to focus on something else, the anxiety lessens, the fear goes away, taking with it all the associated physical symptoms.
    Last edited by lemontree; 12-03-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: because I can't type :)

When you feel the need to pinch or pull your hair out put an elastic band or hairband round your wrist and ping it against your skin, it stings a little but takes away the need to harm yourself in other ways, my friend used to self harm and the elastic band trick is one of the things her doctor told her to do when she felt the need to cut herself.

Yes!!! I thought I was the only one! I usually pinch at my hands/fingers but if I'm really scared I scratch myself until I bleed >_< I usually don't even notice until after the panic has subsided. I've done that since I was 5-6 years old!!

Quote Originally Posted by cat1 View Post
    Yes!!! I thought I was the only one! I usually pinch at my hands/fingers but if I'm really scared I scratch myself until I bleed >_< I usually don't even notice until after the panic has subsided.
    I do that too! I usually scratch the top of my thumb till its raw. It doesn't even hurt when I'm doing it until the next day. What's screwed up is that even makes me feel better so the next time I panic, I'm halfway there.
    And I don't pull my hair out like I'm bald. I have really really thick long hair so I'm conscious about changing where I pick. It's rediculous really but in that moment, I can't stop.

I tend to shake or bounce my legs while sitting down. My number one thing to subside panic attacks is my essential oils and a warm shower while I sit on the floor of the tub.
    When you hit rock bottom, the only way to go is UP.