Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
    soomangoo Guest

Question I've jjjjjust joined an slightly confused help?

when reading others posts people use words like v* and d* and sv, i'm not sure what these means and this is probably a stupid question but can someone please explain these abbreviations?

Default Re: I've just joined an slightly confused help?

I think people are doing this because some don't even like to see the words vomit, diarrhea, stomach virus.

sv* = Stomach Virus
    v* = vomit
    d* = diarrhea
    fp* = food poisoning

There are some others, I think but I can't remember them...

n* = nausea and sometimes people say s* as sick to add to the previous list...
    Susie

Some people don't like to type these words and other people just use the * as a kind of short form. The "rule" on this site is that there's no reason to use the abbreviation - it's your own choice. In fact, the more you look at these words the less power they will have over you. It's a small thing but it's a step in the right direction.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I sometimes just use the abbreviations for other people's comfort. I don't have a problem seeing the words myself, but I figure, I don't want people to read them accidentally in a post of mine and be uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    I sometimes just use the abbreviations for other people's comfort. I don't have a problem seeing the words myself, but I figure, I don't want people to read them accidentally in a post of mine and be uncomfortable.
    I do the same Kaydee. It isn't a problem for me to type or see the words. But I know some people's emet is very acute and I do it as a courtesy to others.

A lot of people do this as it feels more comfortable for them rather than typing the actual word. I cant even say the actual words so typing them in abbreviations is much nicer! x

Default Re: I've jjjjjust joined an slightly confused help?

I have another ?...haha sorry, I kinda jumped in. What is GP? General Physician? That's my guess but I wasn't positive..
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:

Yep. GP is general physician.
    By the way. welcome to the site!

How are you finding the site so far?
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

Hello everyone...I am new here as well and I cant figure out how to post a new thread. I am so happy that I found this website. There are so many things I want to talk about but I am not sure how to post things. Can someone please help! Thanks =)

Well to send a message you go on the preferred message board, e.g general, private forum and then you will see towards the top of the page it will say write new message in a grey little box so you click on that, write your message and then scroll down and click post. And there you go Welcome to the site x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

Welcome! i usually use the abbreviations for other people because some emets don't like to see the words (Myself included) so i just do that so no one gets a slight heart attack like me