Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question what do you think about the "Living with Emetophobia" book?

I'm wondering what others think of this book.http://www.amazon.com/Living-Emetoph.../dp/1843105365 I just read it and have mixed feelings. As one of the only (that I know of) books that has been written on the subject, I own a copy because I don't know what other books really deal with this subject. In some ways, I think it was really brave of this woman to write this book, especially because she suffers from this condition so bad. But on the other hand, I was hoping for more advice on how to deal with this problem. Instead it was mainly personal stories and antidotes. It did educate me very throughly on this subject, but didn't offer many if any solutions. I also had a problem with some of her views. For instance, she says that nearly all emets are dangerously underweight and that they will starve themselves, not eat food samples, etc. Well I consider myself to have a serious condition with this, yet I'm not dangerously underweight, I don't starve myself and I don't avoid food samples (the only reason I do now is because I was diagnosed with Celiac disease last spring and have to be on a very strict gluten free diet). The book also made me really sad and didn't give me much hope. So what are your thoughts?

Default Re: what do you think about the "Living with Emetophobia" book?

I just read it this past week. I felt the same way, i thought there might be some ideas on how to deal with it. There wasn't really much. I think that this is a good book for a non-emet to read. My mother and husband have both read it and I think it made them understand more about how much I suffer. I could relate to a lot of the stories and it was helpful for my parents to see why I acted like I did as a child. I am not under weight either, and I do eat. The only time I do not eat is when there is someone v* in my house or if I came in close contact with someone who did v*. I can go 3 or 4 days and not eat, but once I feel I am in the clear I start eating again. Like I said before I think this book is better for non-emets if they want to learn and understand what an emet goes through day to day. I am going to do some research and see if I can find any other books, I will post them if I do.

I haven't read it, although I did nearly buy it on Amazon...and then I read the reviews. They make it sound really depressing and a couple of them made it quite clear that the author offers few solutions and actually felt that it's the last thing someone with this phobia should read as it will probably make them feel even worse!

I bought this a few years ago. I find that it's not really made to help an emet recover, but to help non-emets understand just what we go through. I think for that purpose, the book does wonderfully. I actually find myself recommending it to many when they are visiting a doctor or planning to tell a family member for the first time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that what she writes isn't always how all emets feel. I've never been suicidal due to emet, nor been underweight. However, some emets do sink to this low and it's important to make a note of such a thing so people can understand how serious it can become.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I`d read it if I could get my hands on a copy, & I`ve tried to order from Amazon, but my order didn`t go through for some reason. I hit the same snag when I tried to order a cd from that website, too, so just gave up.

Thank you - I was going to purchase this, not now as It doesn't sound of much help, and again I don't agree with her ideas. I know I am unusual in the fact I am slightly OVERWEIGHT, this is due to PCOS and also comfort eating. Unusual I know but when I am nauseous and don't feel repulsed by food I eat some to show myself. I also comfort eat for other reasons but thats another topic - In short I don't think this book would be right for me. Thank you so much for posting this and saving me the cost

i just felt like i could have written the book myself it was just confirming in my mind what i already knew i think its more a book for others to read to understand the condition better!
    ...The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step