Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default If you were to v* what would happen?

One of the ways of getting of the fear of vomiting is to realize what can happen and what does happen. Our brains try to trick us and freak us out. My brain tells me if I throw up I will die. This is not true, but I feel that its true. There is a big difference between logic and what we perceive. So, what is the worst that could happen if you got sick? Would you panic? Would you freak out? Or would you handle it in a logical manner?
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: If you were to v* what would happen?

I would panic and then when it happened I would feel like a normal person for a few weeks before the fear crept back in like a virus...I know because it has happened twice in the last 10 years...suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuux

I don't usually link vomiting with dying. I more worry that I would be broken emotionally. I don't know why, but that's my worst case scenario I think - that it would throw me into a constant state of despair or insanity that I could never come back from. I also worry about how humiliating it would be and imagine that I would never be able to face people again, especially anyone who saw/heard but even people who were nowhere around.

Of course it's more likely that I would handle it and life would go back to normal, but it's been such a long time since I last got sick that I really can't envision that outcome at all.

i don't think i will die if a V but i know leading up to it i would do my best to prevent it. my biggest fear is of others being ill like my kids and wife. i react as i want to get away and leave the home. it's pretty crazy when you think about it, i even laugh at myself. it's kinda like having a deep fear of spiders or when my daughter freaks out over thunderstorms or tornado sirens. the V phobia is soo bad IMO because we never know when it will strike so your constantly in fear.

It would literally snap whatever sanity I have left. My mind would sink into ultimate despair that I know I couldn't escape, and then I would ... $ú!çïdè.

Yet another banned member. Paisley again i take it? Why is this board being spammed soo hard latley?

I think of the yucky taste, the mess and the smell. Also I would probably feel like shit during and after.

I don't think I would die, thats not my fear. My mind tells me: If it starts it will never stop; If I get sick to my stomach that means I'm REALLY sick, there's something SERIOUS wrong with me; and I won't be able to handle it emotionally and mentally and I'll probably "snap" at some point. I know all this is unrealistic but knowing that doesn't make my fear any less.

I`d feel totally freaked out, & afterwards really deppressed & disappointed with myself for leeting it happen. If I did it in public I would die of shame, because I can imagine what people would think, that I was disgusting, & had had too much to drink. They would probably tell all their freinds & family about it & point me out to them next time they saw me, saying, there`s that disgusting person that I saw v in the street, I wonder if she`s an alchoholic?

It's not the actual vomiting that scares me but the awful nausea and stomach churning before it happens. If there was no horrible lead up to it, no awful nausea that goes on and on, no feeling like your stomach is a washing machine, then I'd be fine with it (well not 'fine' but I'd accept it and just be like every other normal person out there).

I'm not scared that i would die from it because i won't i am very very frightened of it, even though i have done it 2 years ago. I even know it's not that bad i even know it's nothing to be scared of but my body panics.

I'm afraid of not being able to stop. I'm afraid Ill be really sick and be the type of sick that V* every ten minutes for a few hours and get really dehydrated and have to go to the hospital. I'm not afraid of being in public or people seeing it. Actually I feel the safest from it when its day time and I'm out and about because in my mind V* only happens in the middle of the night which is why I have such anxiety when I go to bed. I'm also afraid that because I am so afraid I will prevent the V* from coming up so bad that I will choke on it. Is anyone else afraid like this?

I stop breathing.. literally. My "flapper" in my throat gets hung up and I can't stop v* I actually have to have someone other to watch me and pop my in the back so I can catch my breath and start breathing again..

Quote Originally Posted by samibaby11 View Post
    I'm afraid of not being able to stop. I'm afraid Ill be really sick and be the type of sick that V* every ten minutes for a few hours and get really dehydrated and have to go to the hospital. I'm not afraid of being in public or people seeing it. Actually I feel the safest from it when its day time and I'm out and about because in my mind V* only happens in the middle of the night which is why I have such anxiety when I go to bed. I'm also afraid that because I am so afraid I will prevent the V* from coming up so bad that I will choke on it. Is anyone else afraid like this?
    Yes this is exactly what I'm scared of. If I could know that I'd have to v* say 3 times, beforehand I could deal. Its not knowing when it'll stop and how many times is what scares me because of a coupe of bad experiences.

In answer to what would happen? If I v*d once or twice it wouldnt make my phobia any worse, itd possibly make it a little better. If I was v*ing non stop or feeling like I couldnt breathe it'd set me back a LOT.

Similarto what others have said..that because my anxiety is already so bad it would break me and I would never be able to work or leave my house or eat or smile again. It sounds crazy and it has happened before and I survived but that is what I imagine.

I think I would be very upset, disgusted, ashamed and grossed out. But ultimately, I think my body would "take over" and I would know deep down it's what I need to do to rid myself of any toxins/bug/etc. I'd probably take a gravol, zofran, ativan, post about it on IES and watch a movie afterwards or something. Lol
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I'd be a crying, panicky, uncontrollable wreck. If someone were present (which I'd hope in such a situation) I'd probably squeeze their hand until I broke their bones, in the way a woman in labour would, because that's the equivalent pain of it. After the event, I would no doubt be in shock, speechless and probably in a weird state of relief, because the one thing I remember from last v*ing, back in 1994, was the sheer relief afterwards. But then the fear would creep in again "will I be sick in half an hour? Will it come back?" The utter worst bit.

I never thought a scenario would pop up where I would trade v*ing in for anything, considering it's THE worst fear I have. But, right now, I would happily v* if it meant my father could recover from his illness. He's dying from lung cancer and as I'm currently far from home, I've been blocking it out, but when I see him the weekend I will be in shock. And I would willingly trade a whole host of emet misery for him to have his pain disappear.

i worry once it starts it wont stop.if i knew it would just be once id be able to just cope.knowwwing i could get to the bhroom to..id live normal for a few weeks then the fear would come back but bigger.