Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anxiety + Emet = Motion Sickness....any possible cures?

Okay I don't travel very much by car/train etc but when I do I always seem to start feeling sick pretty much instantly! Now I know this has to be anxiety related because since my emet has flared up again, it's constantly on my mind.

Up until about 2 years ago I was fine, could travel for an hour or more in a car and not feel sick at all. However in the smallest car journey can make me feel really sick but i've never once vomited (thankfully).

However It is putting a dampner on things because there are times when I WILL need to go on a train or I will need to take a car journey.

If anyone has any remedies or whatever that actually works then I'd be more than grateful!

Default Re: Anxiety + Emet = Motion Sickness....any possible cures?

I'm the same as you so before I do any type of traveling I take tons of precautions.
    I first start with Bonine, but you can also take dramamine-both are anti-motion sickness meds. To me, Bonine is better cause it doesn't knock me out as much as Dramamine. I also wear a Relief Band on my wrist, which looks like a watch but it sends little pulses up your wrist and somehow it tricks the brain into thinking you aren't moving. I bought it at Sharper Image before they went out of business but there are other places you can buy one. I've worn it on very long trips, including a non-stop flight from Arizona to London, Heathrow and was just fine. A lot of people swear by sea bands as well for the same effect.
    I never used to get motion sickness up until about 15 years ago after sustaining a concussion in a car accident but I swear that the Bonine and Relief Band are 100% effective for me
    Good luck!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Thanks for that reply. I try to focus on the point of a journey (for example, last summer I went to see a London show and was feeling so sick and nauseous all the way there, but once in the theatre and even on the way home I was quite relaxed and felt fine..what the hell?) i.e. a positive day out, but the "badness" takes over

Oh I hate traveling. I've recently travelled by plane to sydney for work. I coped with take off and in the air, but decent had some turbulence and I freaked out and started feeling sick. I wasn't sure if it was the turbulence or anxiety though cause once I got off the plane I felt worse, not better. On the way home my precaution is phenergan. It does knock you out but it's better than nothing. I might try and get some sea bands as well. Anyway, I'm not sure if you've left yet but I think those big interbational planes may experience less turbulence than the little domestic ones.

There is a thing called the sea band. No meds or anything. My husband got me them and it works great! its two bracelets that looks like those sweat band work out bracelet things they have a button on it well when you put them on it hits a certain pressure point on your arm that makes the motion sickness nausea go away also helps with morning sickness. Thats why I wear them. They work great and they are cheap! 10 dollars here in the US.