Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Looking for immediate help

I'm Rose, and this is my first thread. I came here because my phobia has gotten to the point where I won't eat or drink and my health has deteriorated to such an extreme that basic functioning is nearly impossible. In addition to this phobia I have GAD and PTSD from an assault in my childhood. This means I'm constantly on high alert, and emet certainly isn't helping. I'm looking for some support from people like me, specifically how to calm down and learn to freely eat safely and maybe gain back some weight. My goal is to one day go a full week eating normally and not feel n* after eating or drinking anything. Right now I'm having an attack, I had some french fries earlier which I NEVER allow myself to have from a place that looked safe but I've never been there before so I'm super unsure. My boyfriend and his family had them too and as far as I know they're fine, but I still have that constant nagging fear. Can someone help get me out of this? If it continues I'm worried I'll die from malnourishment. My family and doctors are worried, but I refuse to eat because if I became s* or v* it would likely kill me- I wouldn't eat or drink after that no matter what. It's become dangerous and I really really need help.

Default Re: Looking for immediate help

Is your anxiety more from food poisoning or stomach virus? If it's one or the other (or both) I would try to spend some time eliminating sources of stress and possible sickness...stay home for a few days until you know you can't have possibly contracted a sv...eat foods that don't have risk of FP....things with high nutrition if possible!! Start small and move up once you find foods that you know for sure won't upset your stomach. I personally love sweet potatoes, cooked in the microwave or oven...they can be washed and the microwave kills anything on them. Great nutrition too, baked potatoes are the same.

Hi Rosie, not sure where you are based, but it seems like it is time to consider treatment. What has your doctor said?

A safe food tip for me that reassured me and gets nutrients in my body is wrapped protein bars, my favorite ones are called perfect bars they’re in the refrigerated section from grocery stores health food stores, because 1) for me as long as something isn’t expired, it’s “safe”, and if you’re worried about possible contamination you can 2) disinfect the outside wrapper of the bars or whatever you choose to eat if it helps make you feel better. That way you know the food on the inside is germ free and safe to eat. I like the perfect bars because they are really healthy and not much sugar and processed crap that makes stomachs go nuts, always my go to safe food!!