Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Ready to get down to business

Hi everybody!

My name is Scott and I'm 21 years old. I can only recall one major case of sickness from my childhood, and that was food poisoning when I was around 10-11. It was by no means good, but at the time I had little understanding of this particular bodily function, so there was less terror in anticipation, and more confusion as to what was happening. I guess somehow this event stuck with me in my subconscious for years until one day it dawned on me that I was terrified of getting sick. A bit over a year ago I found out I had anxiety after having a panic attack in the middle of a crowded highway at rush hour. Since then I've done what I can to tackle it, and while it's not gone, I can push myself to do things even if I feel fear and avoidance to do so. About half a year ago I was told by my doctor that I have IBS, although my particular symptoms are more nausea and intestinal pains as opposed to always having to go to the bathroom. I regularly confuse my IBS symptoms with feeling like I'm going to be sick, so in the past while I've felt a resurgence of my emetophobia. I have domperidone (Motilium) that I take when I feel like I'm on the brink, but I'm trying hard to cut back and just suck up the pain.

My biggest problem right now is that I'm joining the military. And you can probably see with this is an obvious problem; "Sorry Sergeant, I'd love to keep doing running drills, but my tummy doesn't feel well. Mind if I sit down on this here rock and sip some water?". I'm joining the Air Force in particular, so that adds another interesting layer: I don't sit super well with flying. Most of you are probably familiar with what it's like to fly on a civilian jet liner, but in the military, our flights will be a lot less comforting and a lot more bumpy. It's not uncommon for guys to empty their stomachs during transfer flights and on helicopter maneuvers. What I'm trying to say is that I need to crush my emetophobia before it crushes me. I can't be a functioning soldier if I can be reduced to a shivering mess this easily.

I hope that coming here will mark the beginning of the end of this silly fear of mine. I know how serious we take it, but that doesn't change my belief that one day I will look back and laugh at this. I hope maybe even I can help someone else out with their emetophobia too. I've got much to look forward to!

Default Re: Ready to get down to business

ok wow. welcome Scott. you have certainly picked an interesting career considering the emet. I commend you for that, truly. It seems like you are a bright and confident guy so I have no doubt you can find a way to compartmentalize your fear to get through training. there are nurses, moms and elderly care workers on here (I fall in the mom category) so many of us have to face our fears one way or another. it is a challange. your exposure will be different - less sv related and more motion sickness with the added layer of physical needs of your training preventing you from taking necessary breaks to attend to your immediate needs for self calming. I imagine being macho is a huge deal in the military so that will be something you need to address with your superior.

You're an incredibly mature and grounded person for a 21 year old! I admire your determination and motivation and am so sorry you have this fear hanging over you. I think your attitude alone will make you into someone who will defeat this phobia. This forum can be a great comfort and offer you invaluable tools to overcome this hurdle. Welcome to IES. x
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    I imagine being macho is a huge deal in the military so that will be something you need to address with your superior.
    Thank you for the welcome! Yes being macho is still very much a part of the military, but I actually feel as though it might actually help. I know I've been in situations where I've been very fearful of doing something, and then some of my guy friends will tell me to "man up", and so it forces me to find the courage to accomplish the task. And you know what? 9 times out of 10, the situation I was so afraid of initially turns out to be no big deal. I, just like I'm sure many of us here, sometimes hype up small situations and we get so worried about the consequences and how it will make us feel. But you'd be surprised how often these things turn out to be next to nothing.

You mentioned being a mom, and I always thought being a mom and an emetophobic are almost incompatible! Most moms I know experienced sicnkness at least a few times, and you're bound to run into a few experiences with sickness when raising children. I don't know how they do it, there must just be a lot of really strong and determined moms out there.

First of all, I commend you very much for your courage and your determination.

What I can say, is that being in a Macho environment is probably the closest I have felt to being free from Emetophobia. Some may not like to hear it, but there are things that benefit you being in an ultra-macho environment, and I think this is one of them. I've had the same thing playing sports, or just drinking with male friends (where people V* is quite common). I've always been quite a wuss and cowardly and when a man says, 'man-up' I feel obliged to drop my insecurities and just go ahead with things. Just my opinion.

If I was you I'd not look at it in terms of Emetophobia though. And look at it in terms of improving and toughening your character in general.

Wow great job not letting emet stop you from doing what you want! If your looking for something to help with you emet I've heard people say the thrive program has helped them and its avalibe on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by domoappo9 View Post
    I can't be a functioning soldier
    You're not going to be a soldier; you're going to be an AIRMAN!

I've never heard of anyone getting over emet on demand. But if you can enlist in the USAF, then maybe your emet is not as bad as you think. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.