Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Foods you refuse to eat with Emetophobia?

I have a whole list lol
    -Seafood (possibly undercooked)
    -Sushi (big risk of getting a parasite!)
    -Milkshakes/Chocolate milk/Smoothies (Too heavy on my stomach)
    -Burgers (possibly undercooked)
    -Chili (just...ew)
    -Hot Dogs (nasty mystery meat lol)
    -Lasagna (too heavy, once again)

What about you guys?
    Last edited by kittybuscus; 06-27-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Do not fear: I am with you; do not be anxious: I am your God.
    I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

-Isaiah 41:10

Default Re: Foods you refuse to eat with Emetophobia?

Rice and seafood

-Canteloupe ( there was a listeria outbreak from it a few years back)
    -mandarin oranges (i got sick 4 times after eating them)

i used to be scared to eat taco bell but a few weeks ago i decided to beat this thing and eat there again. and it was so good.
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

Anything I don't prepare haha.. and chicken.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Well I don't eat milk or heavy dairy (I will eat a bit of cheese on things), red meat, or anything fried or greasy because it upsets my stomach.
    Things I won't eat due to my emet: anything that looks or smells off or is too close to the expiration date. I also don't eat out except for pastries.

-Any food that is expired... or expires today... and even tomorrow
    - Ham/cheese loaf (I v'd that up when I was 9 yrs old)
    - Sushi
    - Any meat that is under cook or pink in the middle, except steak
    - Salad bars (I've see kids touch foods and put them back)
    - Any food that has touch any other service besides the pan and my plate/bowl
    - Any food that someone has touched without washing their hands or if questionable washing hands

Any kind of catered or prepared crudite platter with cut up vegetables, or store-bought fruit salad. I just don't like the idea of someone's possibly contaminated hands handling raw food that I'm about to eat. During winter, I also stay away from any prepared food like a sandwich that isn't hot, which someone's hands touched. In summer, when I'm less anxious, I will sometimes order a veggie burger. I will actually prepare fish, usually salmon, myself at home if it's from a "trusted" store. Sushi or even worse, oysters = no way!

I don't like to generally eat pink foods that are still pink when cooked except bacon because I can fry it until it goes crispy, then I know it's cooked. I also tend to just stick to potato and chicken, sometimes cooked fish. But never foods such as sushi, the thought of raw foods just scares me too much! I also don't really like to eat meat that I haven't cooked or seen being cooked because I just get all worked up sometime over it however if I feel confident I can eat it. As well, I refuse to eat food if I haven't washed my hands with antibacterial gel just before eating it...

cucumber and chinese food (last mea before noro which caused emet, oh joy)
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

When I prepare the food myself it's ok in general. But other than that I am afraid of chicken, seafood, sushi, salads with mayo in it. And I don't eat green apples since I was sick after eating one when I was a kid.

Haven't been to Subway since the last time I had food poisoning after eating there. I love olives except for the plain black ones, those remind me of throwing up. I stopped eating meat 13 years ago but that was for moral reasons, not emetophobe reasons. Apart from that, I don't avoid specific foods, I just avoid situations like dicey looking restaurants, or food that's been sitting out awhile or been touched by way too many people.

Oh, I also avoid bagged salads and lettuce since I hear about them being recalled so often being infected with e.coli or listeria or something. Same with alfalfa sprouts even though i love them

Anything I don't prepare myself..
    Rice
    Fresh fruits/vegetables (mainly during winter - I ate my first salad of the year a couple weeks ago!!)
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

I avoid foods, but less so because of emetophobia and more for health reasons. I do not eat dairy, but that's because I have bad lactose intolerance. It sucks, but probably for the best. Currently not eating much wheat/gluten either, but for my endometriosis diet.

I do not eat much bagged salad mixes and prefer to make my own salads. I avoid raw veggies and fruits from restaurants and ice too due to cleanliness. I'm a bit of a germophobe beyond my emet I have learned. I'll eat anything cooked though.

I do not like red meats or meats in general much, so eat little of them. Bananas, cantaloupe, apples, string beans, and blueberries due to allergies and the way they affect my belly after consumption. I eat apples and cantaloupe on only some occasions and little of it thanks to allergies.

I avoid popcorn and cupcakes. They repulse me after I ate them before and of course became physically sick soon after. Still can't eat cake/cupcakes to this day though it's been like 11 years since that happened. Popcorn was more recent, but I still can't eat it a couple months later. This goes beyond emetophobes though as I know non-emets who can't eat certain foods after becoming sick after they ate them.

I used to be more paranoid about foods and still am leery, but am working on not avoiding foods more and more. Part of my recovery.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

I only really avoid vegetable/fruit platters made by caterers or grocery stores and some types of seafood from places I don't trust, like those "cold" cocktail shrimps, don't trust 'em. But I'll eat cooked shrimp and scallops any time if I feel the restaurant is safe or I prepare it myself. Other than that... I don't really eat salads when I go out, mostly cause I don't like salad, only slightly because of emet. I also avoid any food that other people might have been handling with dirty hands, like communal meals and the such... and those little cubes of cheese that everyone touches. Ugh. I don't like random people to have handled my food. That's about it. Other than that, I'll eat pretty much anything, including copious amounts of sushi and tartare whenever I can get it. I'm careful about expiry dates, but I will eat food that looks unspoiled up the the expiry date, I won't throw it out beforehand. And obviously I will avoid restaurants that seem to have severe food hygiene violations, but I've been known to eat at "dirty" places and survived to tell the tale.

I try not to avoid anything. I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat meat (I do eat seafood tho so I guess I'm pesca). Super greasy food doesn't sit well with me so I try not to eat it a lot. Also buffets gross me out but I eat at them if need be.

I hate buffets so I avoid them. I used to eat sushi all the time with my dad but have since stopped, I will eat like the shrimp tempura rolls though. I avoid any salad in restaurants I just don't like the idea of raw food when I don't prepare it. I don't like bagged lettuce. I just started drinking coca cola again after about 4 years due to being s after having one.
    Twitter: pirateprincess4
    Yahoo: pirateprincess2404
    Facebook: Erin Johnson

I wont eat chicken prepared by anyone but myself.
    I dont like participating in pot lucks, so i avoid them
    I dobt eat at anyones house, except my cousins

No real specific foods other than chicken, oh and seafood
    Stronger than yesterday;;Weaker than tomorrow

I will not eat...

-Hot Dogs
    -Baked Beans
    -This odd meat, I can't remember the name... it was cubed and tasted horrible

I also refuse to eat at buffets, because I see people touch the foods and other stuff and I find them unsanitary.
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I work in the food industry, so I have an interesting perspective on safety standards for food. But here's my list:

*Bagged salads
    *chicken (raw chicken just grosses me out)
    *most meat (just don't care for the taste!)
    *party trays/platters (SO many people touch those with their filthy hands!)
    *community bowls of chips (see above)

On the flip side, I LOVE sushi and I eat rice all the time. I always thought of it as a "safe food" because it's bland and easy to digest. (I have celiac, so most grains are not an option for me.) Just curious- why do most other emets refuse to eat it?

Quote Originally Posted by kitbuddy View Post
    On the flip side, I LOVE sushi and I eat rice all the time. I always thought of it as a "safe food" because it's bland and easy to digest. (I have celiac, so most grains are not an option for me.) Just curious- why do most other emets refuse to eat it?
    Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I refuse to eat sushi because I know it's a huge risk for parasites that will cause severe v* and d* ! Good for you though!
    I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by kitbuddy View Post
    I work in the food industry, so I have an interesting perspective on safety standards for food. But here's my list:

*Bagged salads
    *chicken (raw chicken just grosses me out)
    *most meat (just don't care for the taste!)
    *party trays/platters (SO many people touch those with their filthy hands!)
    *community bowls of chips (see above)

I also use to work in the food industry and I agree with your list for the reason you stated. I also avoid buffets as well. My brother use to work for Ruby Tuesdays and he said their salad buffet food is awful and isn't really cleaned well or fresh. I don't like sushi and I also eat rice ALL the time. I never heard of catching anything from plain white rice.
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

Quote Originally Posted by psalm139 View Post
    I also use to work in the food industry and I agree with your list for the reason you stated. I also avoid buffets as well. My brother use to work for Ruby Tuesdays and he said their salad buffet food is awful and isn't really cleaned well or fresh. I don't like sushi and I also eat rice ALL the time. I never heard of catching anything from plain white rice.
    Rice, when not stored or reheated properly, can carry a toxin called bacillus cereus. So put that leftover rice in the fridge as soon as possible and it's been over two hours, toss it. If not stored properly, cooking won't kill the toxin, so it can make you sick.

That said, I will eat rice that's fresh and do eat raw fruits and veggies, but just make sure I wash them well. I use a bowl of water with a little vinegar and if they have have groves, I scrub them too. I eat meats I cook and will eat some meats out too. Today I have steak, onions and peppers from a chinese buffet. I avoid many buffets, but will eat at a couple places and only some foods from them. I eat the hot foods only. Also, steak, even undercooked, won't make you sick. It's the cuts of the animal that don't carry any e-coli, so that's not a risk with steak. Not sure about chopped steaks though.
    I can't get myself to eat sushi. The thought of eating raw fish is just-I can't do it, nope.

It's just left over rice, correct? I eat rice all the time and always thought it was a "safe food" too. I love sushi too, not the kind with raw fish but the veggie and tempura rolls.

I unfortunately won't eat any foods I have never eaten before. I have a lot of international friends who are always wanting to cook me new food and it looks delicious but I am just too nervous to eat it in fear of getting food poisoning. (Chinese food, Turkish Food, etc)

I try to avoid almost all meats as well.

- sushi
    - fast food
    - buffets

otherwise i eat everything (minus dairy, eggs and wheat b/c I am allergic) i worry almost always that i can be food poisoned but if i cook the food myself i take an insane amount of precautions and worry a little less

Quote Originally Posted by psalm139 View Post
    Rice is only a problem if it's reheated, trouble is when you eat rice in a restaurant or from a take away you never know if it's been reheated or not. It can even cause death although I think that is very rare.

Great. Now I'm scared to eat rice lol!

Quote Originally Posted by kittybuscus View Post
    Great. Now I'm scared to eat rice lol!
    I didn't know about rice until just recently. I haven't eaten it since I found out.

Don't fear rice. It's only if it's not stored well and then reheated that's a problem. Rice is good for you, just be sure to always put any leftovers in the fridge as soon as possible, that's all. My boyfriend eats rice all the time and never has been sick.